What is this line??

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by noonie, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noonie

noonie Registered Member

First of I would like to say this is a great website. Being both an avid acronis user and being hijacked numerous times this forum has been invaluable. I have repired numerous attacked systems from the info here.
    I have a question and hope this is the right forum.
    What is this following line?
    %systemroot%\system32\dumpprep 0 -k
    I run a great little program called winpatrol that alerts me to hidden changes. When my computer randomly reboots winpatrol stops this line upon restart. This same line appears after every random reboot, so I assume it shouldn't load.
    Any ideas?

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

systemroot%\system32\dumpprep 0 -k

this means that there has been a crash, and that windows will create a dump file of your RAM contents to be viewed= the contents of your RAM will be written to a txt file, maybe the guys @micro$oft can get something out of it, the cause of crash etc.

there is usually a blue screen, did you see what's on it?
    did you install some new software/hardware before the crashes started to occur?

3. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have never gotten any bluescreen, just immediate reboots. It seems to happen only after surfing the net. I think I remember once allowing this to load and then deleting it from the ie6 cache file, but i'm not sure. Winpatrol stops it from loading so I assumed it was some sort of malware.
    I'm using using xppro with all the latest updates and preventative measures you guys suggest. I'm also a nut on having a clean system with minimum progs loading at startup. This one seems to be the last glitch.
    Where can I find this test file you spoke of?

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

if winpatrol cleans the autostart line it will not be done..

do a search on the windows folder for dump and you'll find it if it's created, just that if you're not a an expert programmer it will not be of use for you

also post your hijackthis log, just to make sure it's not malware related!

5. noonie

noonie Registered Member

thanks for the help]
    The next time winpatrol stops it, I will allow it do install and send a hijack log to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.