What is this file from Eset?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gmcc, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

Just a curiosity really, but on the page http://www.eset.com/download/free-virus-remover.php

in the drop down selection box there is an entry called "Dummy File Creator utility". Does anyone know what that is and/or what it is supposed to do?

It downloads as DFC.Zip and that zip file contains two files named DFC.EXE and DFC.INI. The executable appears to do nothing that I can tell.

Thanks for humoring me.

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Hello, gmcc and wlecome to Wilders! :)

See this thread. It explains everything. ;)

3. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

Ah. I see. Thanks.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@pykko I went to that other thread.

I still don't understand. How do I use it? It doesn't install. What file do I use? Do I execute it when I'm infected? So puzzled here. Thanks.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Since Paolo Monti is the author and since he is Italian , there is a good explanation for all these in the Italian site . I can't understand anything from this Italian however , here is a quote

If you have question about the tools , mail them in English at tools @ nod32 . it

:D

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes about the same here. Email as suggested sent. Will wait.

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Some registry cleaners "flag" the Eset Quarantine file as "invalid" because it doesn't contain any entries. When I first saw this thread, I was wondering if this little utility could be used for that purpose (to have an entry, so that registry cleaners don't flag and remove it, for users not paying close attention to what has been flagged).....

9. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

You can just create an empty text file on the desktop and then add it to quarantine maunually it if you wish.

Cheers :)

10. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

From one of the freebie translator sites (so it's only close):

Free software for the creation of file "fictitious", useful to block the infection of the sharings aside of worm that use names predefiniti. DFC? planned to create a strip of file that hinder the spread of the worm Opaserv and pu? to to be changed pleasure.

When I try to start it, it runs for about 1/2 second and stops (according to task manager), and does nothing at all that I can tell. I suppose it was meant to create dummy files named as noted in the .ini file that comes with it. But it seems to be of limited usefulness and so I'm probably not inclined to spend any more time messing with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.