What is the size of your RAM memory and why?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :rolleyes:
    I am very curious with this RAM thing, because some experts says if you have XP OS then we must install at least a 512MB RAM for the system to work exactly for what it is, but some computer salesmen here says that its okay to have any size of RAM, and even 128MB RAM will just works fine. So I choose to have a 256MB RAM. I’m just wondering, what RAM size the others are using.
    :)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use 512 as 256 wasnt enough but it may have been my slow proc. it rele comes down to how many apps u run. also consider how many user accounts u have. if people keep fast switching instead of logging out, the memory usage will sky rocket.

3. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I have 256 MB as I couldnt afford more...though I believe that 512 MB is essential if you run lots of security apps and prefer high grafix games!

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I use 1gig now, but used 512mb for almost two years without any problems. I bought the extra ram cuz it was cheap.(still is)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use 512MB on my Notebook, but I would like to upgrade to 1GB when the price low a lot...

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

1024MB of 3200 on my own machine - it was affordable to upgrade from the 1024 of 2700 I used to have. I use the gig simply because it wasn't too much extra (I find the 2/512 deals on newegg) and I figured it'd help ensure my machine could handle any gaming I want for a while along with the extras like teamspeak at the same time. I have 640MB each on the other two machines - each of those has a 512 of 2700 from here and a 128 of who-knows-what that came with them from IBM.

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

1GB because it's needed when working in both Photoshop and MSPublisher at the same time. Otherwise, PS will write to disk.

-rich

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have 512MB on my current box.
    My first computer(H/P Pavillion) came with 128MB and that was very slow.
    When I started using security programs I had 256MB added and that was an improvement.

10. toploader

toploader Registered Member

the more you run the more you need Sweater. as Rmus said if you are using photoshop/publishing or video editing the more the better.

most of the time 512 is more than enough - 256 is really the bare minimum these days and can quickly be eaten up by xp2 IE etc.

always best to have some in reserve - makes the whole system run that little bit more smoothly.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  11. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I was running a Dell Dimension 2400 Celeron 2.50ghz and 256mb RAM with no problems. The built-in video graphics ate up 64mb ram leaving me with 80-100 mb RAM most of the time. A decent setup but not a gamers delight.

12. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I run a 256meg on a 2gig CPU, with Window Server 2003 Enterprised Edition on a Dell Notebook. I set my Paging Size 786 Min and Max and it seem to be doing ok with the normal program running, and also have my start-up program I needs like NOD 32, ProcessGuard, Outpost Firewall.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

My older Compaq 256 two 128 cards.

My Emachine 512 two 256 cards.

The two machines have vastly different process speeds so it is difficult to make a comparison. But both run Celeron chip sets.

Naturely the older Compaq runs slower. But it can still handle all my tasks with no hang ups.

They are both keepers. :) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.