What is the purpose of Sandboxie's SBIE 1307 message?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dantz, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I have a sandbox that I use for software testing. One of the restrictions I've specified is that "No program can access the Internet", and I've checked the checkbox on that page in order to be notified.

However, I've noticed that no matter which program I run in the sandbox, I always see the message "SBIE 1307 Program cannot access the internet due to restrictions - [program name]" as soon as the program loads, even if the program did not make any attempts to access the internet.

I realize that I could just uncheck the checkbox or hide the message and not be notified in the future, but I don't understand the purpose of the message. I am already quite aware that I have restricted internet access in that sandbox. What I'd rather see, instead of a generic message reminding me of my settings, is a popup message that notifies me whenever any program attempts to access the internet (or attempts to violate any of the other restrictions, for that matter). Does that make sense, or do I misunderstand the purpose of the message?

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Are you sure that you see message 1307 for every program that you run? I ask because I don't. For example, I see message 1307 for Foxit and WMP every time I open them in a sandbox that's set to "Issue message SBIE 1307 when access is denied" but I don't see it for KMPlayer, Office programs, WinRar, HJsplit or Movie maker.

As far as I know or can tell, the message is issued if a restricted program wants to access the internet otherwise the message is not issued.

Bo

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

First I deleted the contents of the sandbox, then I tried running a number of common programs (one at a time) in the sandbox including MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Access, NotePad, Calculator, WinHex, Command Prompt, and several others. The message popped up every time. Finally I wrote a one-line batch file with the first line remmed out so that it does basically nothing at all, and the message still appeared. Seems like it shows up every time. I'm a bit surprised that yours doesn't.

Windows XP SP3, Sandboxie 3.76

4. bo elam

dantz, in XP or W7, I get the same results. In the above post you mention notepad and calc, I just tested those in XP and I don't get the message.

If you use more than one sandbox, Do you get same results in the other sandboxes? Maybe something is corrupted in your testing sandbox. Create a new one and test programs in it.

Bo

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Creating a fresh sandbox in my XP system produced the same results. I kept all of the default settings, with the exception of "Restrictions: Internet access" which I set to "No program can access the internet".

However, I just tried the same procedure on a clean Windows 7 system and the message only popped up when I deliberately tried to access the internet. Apparently only my XP system is affected. I'm going to try to track this down. Thanks for your help!

6. bo elam

Make it easier, reinstall SBIE, let the installer remove the settings that you have now.

Bo

7. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Reinstalling Sandboxie made no difference, but that's ok, I just figured it out. It's my firewall. When Online Armor's HIPS feature is active, the SBIE 1307 message pops up if I open any program in a sandbox that specifies "No program can access the internet". If I disable Online Armor's HIPS then the message appears only when a program actually attempts to access the internet, which is how it ought to work.

I'll try to figure out which part of the HIPS is doing that. If I can't disable it safely then I'll look for another firewall, because there's no way I'm dumping Sandboxie.

Thanks again, Bo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.