What is the difference between Online Armor and COMODO?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by truthseeker, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

It seems people on this forum mostly use Online Armor or COMODO.

I myself am using COMODO, but have never tried Online Armor.

What are the main differences between the 2?

2. Livio

Livio Registered Member

I'd say lightness

OA is way lighter than Comodo,
    and is as good if not better according to the tests

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I would say that OA is easier to use. It will even auto-open the ports for you once you give permission to an application to connect to internet. Although i prefer to configure such things myself.

Also the GUI is more compact, so you can find what you look for easier.

On the other hand, Comodo IMHO eats less CPU time although i feel it a bit heavier on the system, and provides all features to the free version, while OA has some nifty features available only to the paid version. Still, for a home user, OA Free can be of great help. I think OA is also suitable for HIPS novices. The pop up windows although not as pretty as in Comodo, are less and really try to explain things very thoroughly to give a newbie user an idea of what he is about to decide on.

I 'd say try them both and see which is best for you. One things is for sure, they are currently IMHO the 2 stars of the firewall scene , cause no competitor gives such powerful free versions. And if you do like OA more, i think $40for a firewall-HIPS combo with the added features given in the paid version, isn't an irrational price to pay.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Depends how you look at it.

Comodo uses quiet a lot less memory than online armor but online armor is lighter performance wise.

This chart might help a bit.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

As you can see according to the graph online armor is a bit more than a firewall, it is also a suite with web filter and anti-phishing.

And comodo has a couple more features such as password protection, heuristics, more protection (eg. low level disk access)

The OA alerts are dull compared to comodo's colour coded alerts but online armour's are less confusing even though their size can be intimidating to a ZA user with tiny alerts :D.

Online armour is deffinitely easier while comodo has many options and configuration choices for the user who likes to mix it up.
    The new anti-leak mode in comodo is very close to the simplicity of online armor but sacrifices some protection such as keylogging.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  5. truthseeker

Does OA pass the infamous and controversial PC Flank Leak Test?

And I read that OA does not Block low level disk access, yet COMODO does. What exatly is Block low level disk access?

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I got OA and Comodo to pass the PC Flank test. The GRC leak test and the System Shutdown Simulator. Most tests fail due to user error.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

"Does OA pass the infamous and controversial PC Flank Leak Test?"

I don't know about that test.I don't trust it,but both pass the Shields Up test.

OA free is easier to use and the GUI is more compact.
    Both are excellent firewalls though.

8. subset

subset Registered Member

A program needs low level disk access for example to modify the Master Boot Record (MBR).
    Apps like Killdisk are able to destroy the MBR.
    And some apps can block such attempts, like Comode, System Safety Monitor, EQSecure etc.

Cheers

9. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

The user interface and component layout are much more intuitive than Comodo.

I found better program-compatability for a few apps.

Quite by accident, I discovered that OA has a nice functioning integrity check and recovery feature. While overclocking with OA online, I pushed the system a bit too far. Windows locked up, and on re-boot OA automatically re-installed itself. Nice feature.

I went through several Comodo beta versions, RC and 'final' Comodo release. I never doubted the security offered by Comodo, but it never reached a valid 'final release' state in my opinion. Great fun to tinker with - but I lost patience.

OA is simply ready for prime time, offers excellent protection, presents a user interface that anyone can understand and user-support is great.

10. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I over clock all the time. That doesn't affect the install of any program. Why would OA have to reinstall itself after your pc locked up? Doesn't make sense to me. I like how Comodo and Zone Alarm have icons next to each program. It makes it easier to find things when you have around 200 programs installed like I do. Very colorful also. Online Armor lists everything alphabetically but everything is the same color so you can easily skip right over something when trying to edit a rule or function.

11. truthseeker

why doesnt OA stop low level disk access like comodo does?

12. truthseeker

i just noticed on their website that OA is not suitable for Vista, so i cant try it anyway :p

Minimum requirements: Online Armor currently runs on Windows NT/2000/XP. This program is not suitable for Windows Vista.

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

That's not going to be true for that much longer, I hope :)

14. subset

subset Registered Member

Don't know.

But what I do know is: if someone runs Comodo and doesn't know what low level disk access means, he will likely allow it for Killdisk virus and deny it for his backup program. :D

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. truthseeker

That could be months and months away :p

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We already have OA running on Vista already on our internal test machines. Not everything is operating yet - but we're not as far away as you might think :)

17. truthseeker

MikeNash, will the new Vista version have low level disk access like COMODO does?

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Our immediate target is to get something working on Vista at all.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Relative to low level disk access currently OA wouldn't seem to block it but the reality is different.

I'll compare with SSM, which I assume handles it similiar to Comodo.

Lets assume, I go to a nefarious website and it foists Killdisk on me unannounced. But OA, and SSM pop up and say xzy(or whatever it's called) is trying to run. You don't know better so you allow it. OA lets it run, no block of disk access, and it's bye bye. SSM/Comodo give a pop up saying XYZ wants low level disk access. Here's the catch. Mr. Mo says, hmm, my back up program wanted disk access, so it must be okay, and he allows it. Bye BYe. You have to know the right answer.

BUT. In OA, I run my browser with Run Safer which lowers it's rights. Now when I get asked about xyz, and allow it, no further pop up, and also no damage. XYZ aka Killdisk can't do it's thing.

Bottom line is if you run your internet looking apps with Run Safer, you don't need to know the answer to a pop up. You are protected.

Now sure if you download something from a crack site..............

20. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

If you seek the truth, you shouldn't make any fast assumptions.

Maybe these people are just very loud?

Maybe these products are just the most buggy? They are frequently recommended just because they are free. You could see all the posts as a reason to stay away from them. ;)

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Not in this case, OA and Comodo are Both top Firewalls. Being free is just frosting on the cake.

22. truthseeker

What is Run Safer?

23. truthseeker

Maybe.

Who really knows? <--- rhetorical question :)

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Online Armor's run-safer system helps protect against this by automatically "stepping down" the rights that your web-browser or any other program you run has to a "limited" user.

http://tallemu.com/webhelp/RunSafer.htm

25. truthseeker

Sounds good.

I cannot wait for OA to be Vista ready so I can try it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.