What is the deal with how TI restored my files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RodM, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodM

RodM Registered Member

I performed a clean install of XP and had completely repartitioned my HD. Prior to this I used TI to create a backup of a group of folder that has necessary files and drivers for multiple OS. I backed up to a second computer’s hard drive. After the clean install and updating of XP_SP2, I loaded TI and restored my backup, which was originally backed up from a D drive, but is now being restored to a G drive.

Right off the bat TI would give me errors for several files from the "Favorites" folder I had backed up. My choices were to retry, ignore or cancel. If I clicked retry It would give the error for the same file, if I clicked ignore, it moved on to the next file to give me the same error for that file.

It didn't do this every single file being restored (thank you Lord!)m but regardless of giving me the error, the actual file it said it couldn't restore was ALREADY restored!! I found this out by noticing that the error was talking about one file, while the file displayed on TI's progress bar was a different file. So, I went to the drive where they were being restored and low and behold, all the files I had clicked ignore on were actually there! There were driver file executables that produced the same error, and those files would be there to, during the process of restoring, without their usual icons, but with the correct file size.

When the backup was finishing I noticed the last thing TI was do was restoring the drive info. After the restore was complete, all those files that had a generic icon now had their original icons.

Some of the files that restore said it couldn't restore were several photos from my digital camera. I clicked ignore on over 100 photos (there were thousands restored) and made a note of several of them. ALL photos, even those that I clicked ignore were restored.

While everything was restored as it should be, it is a little disconcerting that I had to click ignore, or the backup would have just stopped and waited for my response. Not very good for an unattended restore.

I'm really having mixed results with this Acronis software and debating as to whether or not to just throw in the towel and get my money back before my 30 day money back guarantee runs out and try some thing else.

I also noticed that TI would NOT install on my ME partition. It would get all the way done and put the icon on the desktop, then completely back out and say the installation was incomplete. I did this several times before I decided to check out the TI requirements and noticed that Acronis doesn't say TI supports win 95, 98, 98SE, or ME. The requirements start at Win 2000 and up. I read a post on the DDS forum about someone having that same trouble with DDS and was told to delete everything in the local settings/temp folder and reinstall. DDS didn't give me any install issues.

Frustrating at times, cool at others. Not really confident that I could successfully restore a OS if I had to.

2. noisyjazzman

noisyjazzman Registered Member

You'll have to make your own decision based on your trial and comparisons with other solutioins, but my experience with Acronis has been pretty negative. I started with TI 6.0, and I was thrilled with it. I kept upgrading until 9.0, but problems have accumulated to the point where I won't bother again. 'Support' are lazy and corporately bland and evasive; that is, they'll do the absolute minimum required to justify closing a ticket; and, however politely and repeatedly you ask, they will not answer straight questions.

I've had an issue with my laptop which typifies Acronis' support. Bootable TI (from version 7 I think) didn't support its keyboard out-of-the-box, which makes it useless. So support provide me with an *.iso with the necessary driver. Fine to a point, but that doesn't enable me to use the Secure Zone stuff etc, which I did pay for. The worst aspect is that they never fixed this -- by version 9 the driver was still not in the default version, and now they've stopped providing me *.isos that work with my keyboard, so I'm stuck with an old build. At no point have they offered me my money back, and they will not provide an answer regarding why they won't just provide the necessary driver with the default install. From support I just get a bland blow-dried corporate smile by email ;)

I know that other people have had better experiences with Acronis. But I have found them pretty useless, to be honest. Certainly I can't rely on TI.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RodM,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem:
    Please note that in order to investigate the issue and provide you with a solution we need some information.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please do the following:
    - Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;
    - Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and Acronis Disk Director 10.0 Suite are completely different products and they support different sets of OSes.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

RodM, if you value your photos, I would not use True Image to back them up. Simply copy them to another drive then burn them to a dvd for extra security.

5. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Acronis Support, it happened with the previous two builds and still with the latest 4940...if I back up selected files and choose "Validate" as one of the options, it will back up everything successfully but then stall and give me errors when it tries to validate. Then, if I try to "Restore" individual files/folders using either the program from Windows or the boot cd (Acronis Full option selected) only some of the files I choose to restore will actually end up in the restore destination I choose o_O For example, I chose, just for testing purposes, an mp3 file, two documents, one config file, and one executable to restore to my desktop. Well, neither one of the documents, nor the config file restored, even though I most definitely chose them. Only the mp3 and executable restored. This happened three consecutive times to me on ther randomly selected files. The only way I can successfully restore selected files is to manually copy and paste them from the dvd to the selected directory(s) The "Restore" function in Acronis is basically dysfunctional. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing but to no avail.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cprtech,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that image verification is a very precise process, and even one wrong bit will result in archive declared corrupted. Therefore, whether a consistent archive validates successfully greately depends of the system components involved in the data transfers during the validation process.

As for the issue of restoring only the first of selected files from a file/folder backup, please notice that it has already been reported and Acronis Development Team is working on fixing it. Most likely it will be fixed in the next build. We are sorry, but the exact time-frame is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Thank you Support. For the most part, I find this software to work extremely well. It just has, for me, a few annoying quirks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.