What is The Charon Project ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by SoCalReviews, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Today ZoneAlarm Pro blocked an outgoing TCP(flag:S) from my computer to destination IP 82.165.177.174:80, destination DNS u12.eset.com .

If you type in the DNS in the web browser it comes up with The Charon Project with the ESET symbol.

I did an ARIN WHOIS and it apparently came up RIPE Network and with some ESET server sites in Europe. The IP registration address gives the company name which is SCHLUND located in Germany.

Does anyone know what this is or why my system would be trying to contact ESET servers in Europe ? Are those the definition update servers or what ? There is no information at all about this on the ESET site.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Further information can be found HERE

Cheers :D

3. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I thought. That was a quick answer and no more explanation is needed. ZAP certainly logs all kinds of interesting activity.

I corrected the original post for the ZoneAlarm probe for China which was incorrect since I must have accidently clicked on the ZA Alert Site global map instead of looking at the source probe site.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.