What is the best way to uninstall....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JRCATES, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

ESET NOD32.

This is for those who have used NOD32 previously and are familiar with removing it completely and thoroughly, without any problems. (I have heard and read that several users encountered errors in the past when uninstalling or attempting to remove NOD32)

I'm currently using ESET NOD32 version 4.2.71.2 and need to completely uninstall it. My license is valid for another 10 months or so, so I may re-install it later at some point. But for now, I would like to completely uninstall and remove it.

So what is the best and recommended way to ensure that it has completely and thoroughly been removed? Please share as many details as possible (for example, if the protection needs to be disabled first, what the best way to do that is, if there are any necessary reboots, etc., etc.)

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. JRCATES

Thanks, Cudni....I've seen that link, even have it bookmarked. I've just seen and read several comments from users online various places which have indicated that they have run into several problems while trying to uninstall NOD32.

Also, there isn't any mention if the active protection should be disabled when uninstalling, or of the uninstaller will notify you of such and disable the active protection itself, etc.

I've also heard that some AVs have a special utility tool to either uninstall, or clean up remaining files, folders, registry entries, etc., either to uninstall or clean up afterward. I wasn't sure if ESET included or recommended such a utility (I see that they have an uninstaller to use in SAFE MODE....but that they recommend using the regular ESET uninstaller first, even though it can possibly "reset (your) Windows network settings"

4. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

5. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

the link provided by cudni is how I uninstall EST,in safe mode... never had any problems with it.

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

same here, I use it to remove all my antivirus/ internet security apps and it has never failed me to remove all traces
    superb little free uninstaller app for security products

7. JRCATES

Thanks for all the replies......they are very much appreciated. :thumb:

Regarding this....I'm guessing that you must disable the active protection first, before uninstalling...correct? Or will this utility recognize that there is active protection enabled, prompt you to disable it (or disable it for you), and then uninstall and remove all traces?

8. berryracer

I've had success even with ative protection is on. But I recommend you disable active protection in order to prevent the AV thinking some virus is trying to uninstall it.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just use the uninstall tool its there for a reason, personally i say good luck with "app remover" type programs and the day you will use it and find its more trouble then its worth. i work on systems EVERY day and i see people who have used these programs come in all the time after they fubar'ed their system...

10. berryracer

While I agree with you that these uninstall programs are full of problems here or there. This AppRemover has never failed me, been using it for 2 years now and is a perfect way to uninstall security apps when you want to uninstall and install other security apps for testing purposes and what not.

11. zfactor

we will have to disagree on this one.

12. berryracer

np man, to each his own. At the end of the day, each one knows what works best for him ;)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This app is utterly useless. It never ever found a single leftover. It takes half an hour to scan just to find nothing at all. And when you're suppose to do a manual mode, it again does nothing. I'm better of making my own cleanup tools that at least work...

14. berryracer

It takes less than a minute to scan for installed security apps and it always removes the left overs. Go figure :rolleyes:

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I use the excellent comodo programs manager which monitors any installations i do and if i wish to uninstall it removes everything completely.It also runs nicely with revo too.:D

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It was almost half an hour on a laptop with SSD and the same time on a powerful Core i7, 6GB and fast HDD system. And it found nothing on both even though loads of security apps were installed and at least some leftovers should be left. Yes, go figure.

17. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The best way to un-install an app is to install them with a tool that inventories all (i.e. every file or modification to Registry) that is installed in the first place. Then un-installation is a no-brainer, i.e. even what is installed in the Registry (Windows only).

I seem to remember such a tool named total uninstall.

Does appremover do the same thing? If so, then it has the chops everyone needs.

Nuff said!

-- Tom

18. carat

carat Guest

I recommend Revo Uninstaller instead of Appremover. ;)

19. zfactor

hate to say i agree after trying it out.

20. JRCATES

RejZoR......what method or tool would you recommend to uninstall NOD32?

A quick Google search seems to indicate that several NOD32 users experience problems during uninstalling or immediately following removal of NOD32....so I'm hoping to avoid having those type of problems and am curious what the best way to completely uninstall it is.

Thanks

21. zfactor

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Completely agree; tried it on several machines one of which I had been testing several AVs over a period of a week. It did not find one scrap!

Best alternatives; use the AVs special uninstaller tool, most AVs have them now. Better still, reimage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.