What is the best touch phone?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can any one answer a Q.

I recently tried iPhone from a friend. It was amazing but I got a big problem. I found no way to browse the phone via a file browser. I felt my self tied with a rope or like I am able to peep into a room via windows but no door to go inside. As I remember, same is true for iPhone4( not sure about iPad though).

What about Android phones? Do they have a file browser?

Thanks

2. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I'm not aware of any way to browse an iPhone, but I imagine that it's possible.
    Reminds me, the only thing I dislike about them is the horror that is iTunes.

All due respect, but someone be sure to let me know whenever a single one of these numerous "iPhone killers" over the years is actually deserving of the title.
    And if and when that day ever comes, please don't forget to provide the number of apps available in its "AppStore killer" as well.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm... no one can kill iPhone atleast in near future, no doubt. And also iPad I think.

4. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Hi, I have got this on my Android. But I am not sure how far you can get into the guts of the Android OS with it.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Don,t want to mess with the OS, just a browser for your files etc like windows explorer etc.

I guess iPhone has none so far. Am I right?

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it does if u jailbreak, personally iproducts of any kind are geared towards "simple" people with little knowledge and little need, so they keep the functioning of the phone as easy as possible without any advanced power user abilities. so if ur a power user and u DONT want to jailbreak the iphone, its best to not get one, thats why the first thing i do with my iphone and ipod touch is to jailbreak it so i can get same actual functionality.

7. ALookingInView

Problem with jailbreaking an iPhone is it also breaks some of the security Apple baked into it.
    If I had a dollar for every time I've read "..but only works on jailbroken devices." every time the latest iMalware.X, Y, or Z is discovered.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually explorer is very basic thing IMO. Imagine, you have a data storage device in ur pocket and you can simple copy and paste ur data back n forth between this device n ur PC.

9. firzen771

yes, it is basic, but its too much for most idevice users who want to simply watch videos, play games, and listen to music lol

10. robertoa81

robertoa81 Registered Member

11. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

it depends, Nexus One have better processor speed and iPhone have better graphics display, wich one you want? o_O

12. firzen771

well idk if thats sure anymore, new iphone has the A4, not sure how it compares to Nexus One's processor, but it is much newer.

13. Keyboard_Commando

This weekend just gone I bought a larger microSD card for my HTC Desire - an increase from 4gGB to 16 GB. The process of changing storage is so simple. You just copy everything on the old card to your pc and then paste it onto the new - it works no problems.

I also transferred more MP3's to my new microSD card ... from within my pc explorer. No having to go through the hassle of Itunes and Apple technicalities/restrictions.

If only Apple could be this easy ... but that saying ... Ipod & Iphone's MP3 playback is much better than what is available for Android (at the moment). There is only one application, that I know of, for Android, that has custom EQ control. The sound is quite flat with the Android player. Hopefully the Android platform will have more apps/music players targeted at the improvement of MP3 sound quality. Android isn't really decent enough to be a dedicated MP3 player 1st, and a phone - not right now.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The "appstore" for Droid is growing faster than the one for the iPhone...the number for "apps" will change..and be closing the gap, on a daily basis.

Also as we near end of Q2 and enter Q3....the new Droids coming on the market are coming out like crazy. Already the attention is off of the Incredible..which is having production problems keeping up with the demand, and shifting towards the newly released "Droid X"..as well as soon to be released "Droid 2".

It's a difficult summer to purchase..as soon as you purchase the latest and greatest..in a week or two something newer will be out which you'll wish you held out for. Tis always been the trend, it's just much more..and faster release dates of new models, than previously witnessed.

15. ALookingInView

Android's market share is indeed growing faster than Apple's, but I'm skeptical if apps are as well.
    Actually just saw a pie chart graphic somewhere that showed Apple having ~50,000 developers and Android having ~10,000.
    No, I don't remember where, but yes it is publicly available information and I'm sure a small amount of time and effort searching will back these figures up.
    Anyway, at last count the App Store had over 200,000 apps.
    Admittedly, I haven't seen any stats on Android.
    Apple did have a 2 year head-start and with the devs being 5-1 I don't see how this gap will be closed anytime soon either.

That said, my next phone will be an Android device.
    Definitely won't be a Droid X or Droid 2 though, as much as I'd like a new phone sooner rather than later.
    Hoping the Droid 3 will meet my needs a little more.

Edit: Looks like Android has nearly 100,000 apps now. A lot more than I thought, but still less than half of Apple's available offerings.

16. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Apple will hold the lead there, as they've had a couple of years worth of head start. The Droid is still young and gaining momentum.

And when you apply some logic to it...it gets to a point of, it's not the total count that counts...it's, are all the actually useful and productive apps available for the Droid. Is there an app for the things that people actually use? Once you get to 20-25 thousand apps...lets face it...going past that point is just a lot of useless apps.

I was going to turn in my Blackberry Tour in August...originally for an Incredible, recently I thought I'd hold out for the Droid X...but I may wait until the dust settles between the X and the Droid 2 and whatever that 3rd mysterious yet to be announced model is. Not that my Tour isn't doing what I need...it's great for tying into our Exchange Server for e-mail, I lean more towards business use than home/kiddie multimedia stuff. Just...to learn something else I supposed..been using Blackberries for a while now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  17. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Right now I would go with Iphone not because it has more apps but the apps are more polished and consistent with the UI. Touch screen is flawless and never found any problem with 4 generations of Iphones that I have used so far.

I tried Nexus one for one month but got annoyed with the touch screen issues : http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=04134c63c784258e&hl=en

Android is always improving but wish Nokia provided the hardware. May be Android will rule the touch phone in the coming future but I hope iPhone will stay afloat like the Mac OS.

18. ALookingInView

Android will undoubtedly "rule" the smartphone market before long, but Apple's phone won't drop off the face of the earth or anything.

19. Keyboard_Commando

App numbers won't win the battle for Android, they need quality. I find myself looking at what is on offer for Iphone and wanting a few apps here and there. I doubt it's the other way around for the Iphone user.

On the whole ... Iphone apps market gets a preferential treatment from developers, it seems, exception: the amazingly excellent (free in US/UK) sat-nav ability of Google Maps.

20. ALookingInView

Oh I was referring to devices sold, nothing more.
    As far as available apps, there's still not even a decent anti-malware available for iPhone.
    And even if the iPhone does receive preferential treatment from some developers you can bet it won't be for much longer (aside from the diehard Apple fanatics anyway).
    Android will do to Apple what GNU/Linux has always wanted to do to Microsoft.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To be honest i think the iPhone 4 is very good, but i would NEVER EVER BUY ONE.
    I prefer android :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.