What is the best third party firewall to use behind a router firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I was trying to decide what FW to use with my wireless router firewall other than my AVG FW. I thought I had it narrowed down to either Comodo or Sunbelt Kerio, but now I'm aware that some people don't feel you need a Third Party Firewall with a router firewall. I was just looking for some added outbound protection since my wife is hardwired into the modem and shares the router with me. I have been reading up on the other free firewalls, and so far Outpost Free and Jetico have seemed to be two of the top choices, but like Kerio 2.15 which was the top choice, I think they may all be beyond my novice capabilities. I have used ZA Free 4.5.594 in the past and miss the logging and other GUI candy that AVG FW doesn't offer.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

AVG Firewall is enough for outbound connections.
    What features are you looking for that are lacking in AVGo_O

3. duke1959

Hey KikiBibi, I was just looking for better logging info and more of a GUI. I guess with Cyberhawk and ProcessGuard Free, the AVG Firewall is more than enough for my needs. I was just curious how Outpost and Jetico firewalls were for someone behind a router firewall and if they provided good logging information and had nice GUI's, that's all. I may just continue using FW Component that is part of my AVG ISS, and will eventually reinstall the AVG AS Component once Grisoft adds Heuristics and other improvements that are supposedly planned. Right now I just miss having a separate GUI for my Firewall, and as I said I really liked the logging information that ZA Free provided.

4. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Blast AVG support with your suggestions. Hope they can implement it in the next version of the firewall.
    :D

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Comodo or Jetico would be good. I think Outpost Free is too dated though.

6. duke1959

Thanks WSfuser, I have read though, that Jetico is hard to set up and use for a novice, any truth to this do you know? And KikiBibi, I will try to bombard Grisoft, but I think they do realize that RealTime improvements need to be added to AVG AS.

7. WSFuser

Jetico is a noisy firewall but thats just how powerful it is. I personally disable some things (like the Process Attack Table) but you may not want to do so.

If you decide to give it a try, Stem can help you configure it and answer any questions you have.

8. duke1959

Thanks again WSFUser, I have my AVG FW installed at the moment, but still not sure if I should just leave it or try another FW.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello duke1959,

AVG firewall, using advanced rules, each rule can be set to log.

Example
    Note the "write to log" option.

10. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

duke~

Afaik, you can't just install AVG's FW, it comes with the AV - or am I wrong? If true, choice of AV may very well impact your FW decision.

If you prefer using another AV (other than AVG), I would go with Comodo's FW as it's very hard to beat for an easy-to-use FW with very effective outbound protection. :thumb:

~pv

11. duke1959

Thanks Stem, I had actually forgot about other features in the AVG FW until you mentioned this. If I need any help I'll surely ask, but this shouldn't be that hard for even me to do. LOL. And pvsurfer, the AVG Firewall is actually part of the AVG Internet Security Suite that I have been often times using with just the Pro version of AVG Antivirus installed while playing around with the different combinations of other Antispywares and Firewalls. I have however decided to keep the AVG FW installed in the Suite and am now using Spyware Terminator for AS protection and Processguard Free for termination protection of the AV and FW. I think this combination is good enough to make me happy fat least for awhile. LOL? I do already miss Comodo Pro though, and because it is such a nice Firewall, if I ever uninstall PG Free I would most likely replace the AVG FW with it.

12. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Doesn't Cyberhawk have outgoing network protection?

I use Dynamic Security Agent behind a router and it seems bulletproof.

Edit: Not much of a gui though and no logging.

13. WSFuser

nope it does not.

14. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Registered Member

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Prosecurity free or appdefend would be my pick. For ease of use i'd configure them to just monitor outbound network access.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I also am behind a router and PCTools Firewall works well for me. :thumb:

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would go with Comodo Firewall Pro. I am trying it out right now, it looks like a nice Firewall. I was using Outpost Pro Firewall before and it randomly cutoff access to startup programs and net access at startup.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree and found out the hard way recently. After downloading the free Outpost firewall everything seemed to work fine but after about an hour I got the BSOD. After reboot I was informed by M$ that the cause of the problem was the Outpost firewall. IIRC- there was a link to go to the Outpost site for more info on the problem. But that link ended up with a page on Outpost's site that did not exist anymore.

As far as the free Outpost FW stay far away!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.