What is SNAPAPI.DLL?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LenC, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

From time to time, I've read instructions for users to download this file from acronis (and install it in c:\windows\system32).

This file is not on my computer. Should it be? What is it's purpose? By the way, TI 9 is working normally on my computer, so I am not attempting to solve a problem.

Thanks,
    Len

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It must be there, look again. Mine is in the C:\windows\system32 folder.

I'm not certain but I think it has to do with the actual engine that TI uses to do its imaging. It only affects Windows installation not the Linux bootable CD programs.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Not there. In fact, I don't have a windows\system 32 folder. (I do have a windows\system folder.)

Everything seems to be working properly - do I have a problem?

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. As mentioned above, I don't have a system 32 folder, but I do have a system folder and an I386 folder.

Interestingly, I have TI 9 installed on another computer in my home, and it does have a SNAPAPI.DLL file contained in a system 32 folder.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you running XP? I have this file in Windows\system32 on XP. If you don't have this folder I suspect you are not running XP or its installed in a location other than the default.

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

The reason your system32 folder is not showing might be because you have to enable showing of system folders. Open Windows Explorer then select Tools/Folder Options then click the View tab. Looks down the list and put a dot in "show hidden files ...." and also uncheck "hide protected ..."

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thank you Ralphie - I could have sworn I was already showing hidden files, but I checked (just to humor you:D ), and I wasn't showing them. So I checked it and of course system32 appears with SNAPAPI.DLL in it.

Is there any reason to download the current version of this file from Acronis? I am using TI 9 build 3677.

Thank you all for your guidance.

8. seekforever

Some consider 3677 to be the better build. You can search the forum to see what the later build fixes and breaks. I think Menorcaman had a post on this.

I would download the later build just to have it available unless you find some reason you want to run it. I do this with BIOS updates when my machine is running well - you never know if you might need it and how difficult it might be to get in the future.

I'm staying with 3677 because it is working well for me.

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Glad you sorted it out .... as for that ver 9 build 3677, that's probably the best build of True Image. I have it and I'm sticking with it. Version 10 of any build has nothing I need.

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks, but actually I was asking about downloading SNAPAPI.DLL. Is there any reason to periodically update this file?

I don't intend (at least at this time) to go to 3853 or ATI 10.

11. seekforever

Not if you aren't having any problems.

Don't fall into the PC geek trap that the one with the latest date is always the best and will make your life better. I know it isn't really as simple as that but I sometimes can't believe how some people get so antsy and wound up if they don't have the latest release of something. There is a good reason it is known as the bleeding edge instead of the leading edge.

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Oh yes. A NEWgrade is not necessarily an UPgrade, even though all NEWgrades are called UPgrades (or UPdates).

Otoh, with Version 10 I've been able to completely automate my backup process, inlcuding managing thenumber of backups without having to resort to post commands or batch files and the related bother.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please see this post for some details on the matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LenC and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the SnapAPI.dll file, which is provided by Acronis support engineers on this Forum is used to enable logging for troubleshooting certain issues users experienced with Acronis Software. Therefore, there is no need to download this file otherwise.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this previous post of mine to find the information about Acronis Drivers.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.