what is save now

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Michael_aust, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I am going to buy command and Conquor tiberian sun the game because it has come down to £4.99 now. But on the back of the box it says about it may install Save now if you choose to. But save now comes with Kazaa and bear share etc. So does his mean it is spyware software. i am a bit confused.

Opinions?

thanks

Michael

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

If it comes with Kazaa and bear share, it will have spyware, adware, malware?

So Beware!!

'Luck
    Marja:cool:

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

It doesn't come with Kazaa and bear share, just apparently contains some of its nast components. If true would be a little unethical.

Jimbob

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Michael,

First off, I'm never a happy camper when a products homepage won't let me view without active content enabled.

It seems the game you quote is distributed by WestwoodStudios, which redirects to xxx.eagames.com/official/cc/ or Electronic Arts. If you're on the net with IE, I would strongly advise configuring Privacy & Security Settings, then loading IESPYADS before investigating any sites linked from the following pages.

This may not apply at present, but a brief overview of 'issues' surrounding SaveNow/WhenU and it's affiliates from past behavior may be found here. Again, please avoid linking before implementing the above precautionary measures.

Do yourself a favor.......keep abreast with current events at Eric Howes spywareblog.
    Here you'll find many relevant news clips and info pertaining to the latest 'advertising' trends.

Now about the comment...."may install if you choose to", this I'm not sure. I was unable to locate specific install options,
    but some programs I know offer you 'exact' control as to what gets installed. Perhaps you're next move after informing yourself is to go to a few gaming sites and inquire. Sorry I'm not a gamer, and therefore unable to suggest any links.

The price may not be worth the risk. Ultimately, the choice is your's.
    Just be smart and exercise discretion, OK.

GF

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I am still not convinced you should install that program, but, like GF said, it is your choice.

Just Be Aware - make sure you have your protection in order and updated.

Let us know what you decided and how it went!

Cheers!

Marja:cool:

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Software that you purchase has no business installing adware on your system. I would suggest contacting the vendor/producer to complain about this.

However I would first recommend you double-check what you read because if you are talking about the budget Sold Out series, this includes InstallNow (a Flash-based installer) which is quite different (annoying - but optional since you can bypass it and just run the setup.exe file on the CD to install)

8. Jimbob1989

I have had a thought, what if it is not the actual game that contains adware. If it is a multiplayer game, it may contain Arcade Spy which I believe does contain adware.

Jimbob

9. Paranoid2000

I presume you are talking about GameSpy Arcade? While the service does contain ads, the software shouldn't count as adware since it does not show ads outside of the service.

10. Jimbob1989

GameSpy Arcade is most likely what I am thinking of. I remember Ad-aware picking it up as malware when I had it on my PC.

Jimbob

11. Michael_aust

It was from the sold out range. I'm pretty sure it was save now because I picked up the box looked at the specs needed an then saw it and I had to check again. I'l go to the shop and have alook again. I even check some of the other games from th sold out range e.g. Who wants to be a millionair and they were on there.

On the back of the box on he right hand side bottom it has a box with all the specs with a little image next to each one so for lif you need a mouse and keyboard it has a little image and the RAM and processor you need it has a little computer image. But at he bottom it has a $ sign and then sas about Savenow.

Like you say I could be mistaken but il check to amke sure. If it infact does have it I will buy the one from EA them selves its only £5 more.

Thanks for the help

Michael

12. Paranoid2000

I've got one of the Sold Out range myself (Thief II) with the specs on the back and by the dollar sign it has "Install.Now(TM) (optional) requires Pentium compatible PC and 16Mb RAM. IE5 installation requires 18.5Mb free hard disk space."

13. Michael_aust

Ok, im sorry about posting, I was clearly wrong. Must have been one of those isntances when you think you see something but it is actualy soemthing different. Sorry for causing the confusion.

Michael

14. Paranoid2000

No problem. :) Glad to clear up any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.