What IS NODWNTEN NOD32.BAT?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by spy1, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pete,

Seems like a nice picture from AVG v7 ;) talking about a "a possible" infection. Could you provide some more info? In case you do have a copy from the file in question, please zip it and send me a copy and submit one to Eset as well.

regards.

paul

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Excuse me, but I believe you guys read DSL's security forum as much as I do.

In case you don't, the thread I'm referring to is here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7121059~root=security,1~mode=flat . It provides the screenie I linked to, as well as McAfee "hits" from something similar.

I'm trying to clarify if this is a threat or a wild-goose-chase.

TIA Pete

4. Paul Wilders

Pete,

Can't say anything about "as much.." ;) Actually, I just pressed your link, Pete, and the pic showed up.

We well need a sample anyway in order to verify all this ;)

regards.

paul

5. sig

sig Registered Member

Originally the worm (?) that Vamp said he was using that NOD couldn't pick up was Trojan.BAT.KillAV.h

But he said it was not the same as the one by that name found in the Symantec virus library and was instead perhaps a variant of that or two others (with different names) found in the McAffee library.

Then he has a screen shot showing AVG ID'ing it as possibly BAT/HitOut.

As for the screenshot showing nodwnten.exe/NOD32.BAT I frankly am not sure what that's supposed to mean really. The only nodwnten.exe file I have is the downloaded executable to install NOD version 1. So...?

6. Paul Wilders

There's no way to verify this, without a sample from the actual file - which couldn't be traced/found by anyone.

No offense, but I for one will not go for hearsay. The one and only right thing to do is submitting the file to AV/AT developpers. Only after verification we'll know for sure. For the benefit of all, submitting the file is the way to go - I'm sure Vamp does know this, and will do so for the benefit of all AV/AT software users. A matter of normal social behaviour.

Indeed.

..it's an obscure zoo file as it seems, as there are many. This has nothing to do with your installled NOD32 version. I for one would like to know where this file actually comes from, since no one seems to be able to track it down (sic).

regards,

paul

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Oh, of course it's all hearsay. I quite understand that. And the mystery file of somewhat dubious nomenclature seems somewhat....elusive at the moment. ;)

As for the nodwnten thing, perhaps it's simply a renamed file or concoction containing the elusive mystery worm. An added touch, perhaps. ;) That's why it didn't make sense to me what the screenshots were purporting to show.

:D

8. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

It seems the latest definition release now has it covered ;)

9. Paul Wilders

Kev,

Since it has been put ITW (now...), and Eset did grab a sample: yup ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.