What is needed for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by dan_plus_o, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o Registered Member

Hello, I was thinking about making a seperate partition for the operating system files. Will I be able to use "SPLIT" to split the operating system to a separate partition? And if so what folders will I need to include for th operating system? Here is the list of Folders that are in my C drive (excluding the ones I made).

- CMPNENTS (don't know what that is for)
    - Documents and Settings
    - Program Files (this is obviously not needed for the operating system)
    - Python22
    - sysprep
    - temp
    - WINDOWS (obviously this is a must, but is this all that is need for the operating system?)

And some files:
    - AVG7QT (Nero media Player media files)
    - INSTALL.txt
    - log.txt
    - TEMP (reistration entries)
    - players.txt

Is WINDOWS the only thing I need to have for the operating system to work? Should I keep operating system set at C or does it not matter what drive letter it is?

2. Toothless

Toothless Registered Member

To me after reading your post, it seem like a strange request. What do you want to do with these "operating system files" or folders? What do you want to accomplish?

"Is WINDOWS the only thing I need to have for the operating system to work". Assuming "windows" folder you are asking.

When you install Windows, the operating system does not just install to one folder called "Windows" folder. Your operating system is installed in numerous locations on your hard drive. It is not just that simple to copy one folder and expect your operating system to run like a complete install.

Is this what your are asking if it can be done?

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

You haven't said how big your HDD is. You could probably get away with 10GB but I suggest 20gb so you can install whatever programs you want without stress.

Partitioning the C drive for windows means you only need to re-format / reload the "C" when trouble happens.

Don't forget that your browser-favorites will die with the old "C" unless you back them up. Same goes for MyDocs. For MyDocs it easier to put them on the other side of the patition in say D Drive. These other partition/s is where you keep MP3 stuff, videos, files, projects etc.

4. dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o Registered Member

I was thinking about making a separate partition for the operating system because I heard that it is better that way. It is probably going to be too much of a hassle though.

So waht your saying tisatashar is if my computer started to mess up I could format the C partition and reinstall windows XP but I won't lose any of my files that are on the other pertitions (unless of course the problem is within the partition with all my files)?

I have a 200GB HDD. 8GB is HP Recovery and 178GB is the C Drive.

Would it work if I moved all the stuff from C to a new partition made with the 68GB unallocated and then moved all the free space from the C partition to the new partition? Would moving the "Program Files" folder to a new partition make all the installed programs stop working? Or would they still run fine and show up in Add and Remove Programs?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.