What is it with Spyware Terminator's ClamAV integration

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Demoras, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

I've installed Spyware Terminator today, as I've read on this forum that this piece of software is now clean and is performing pretty well as both a real-time shield and a on demand scanner.

When I was installing it, I got the question if I wanted to use the ClamAV integration thingy. As it seemed interesting to me (I'm familiar with ClamAV), I decided to use it, I mean, what's wrong with a little extra protection, ey? :rolleyes:
    Anyway, so what I was wondering, is if this can create conflicts with Antivir, my current antivirus program. Does the ClamAV integration function as a realtime virus scanner, just like Antivir Guard? And if it creates conflicts, what would be better, the ClamAV integration, or Antivir?

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I've heard a bit about ClamAV conflicts with other programs, but I don't remember what programs were mentioned. You're best off turning off the ClamAV shield, Antivir is definetly stronger.

3. Demoras

Okay.
    *click*
    Disabled :)

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I chose not to use Clam AV when I installed Spyware Terminator for 2 reasons:

Possible conflicts with my primary antivirus.
    Clam AV isn't very good.IMO.

5. kdm31091

Good...antivir is definetly better.

You know, to the poster who didn't install ClamAV, you could install it and disable it, so that it's not realtime, but you still get to use the Clam engine in scans. That's what I do. It might be good for backup.

6. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

Everytime i did one thing it popped up saying what I was doing... as you said

7. kdm31091

The problem with the realtime on Spyware Terminator and the clamAV shield is that it's not specific, often just saying "ClamAV scan C:" blah blah, nothing comprehensible. No "virus warning", it just cuts off a download or whatever. For clearer messages you'd need Avast or Antivir (or the subpar AVG)

8. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

ClamAV is not real-time, right? So then how can it be real-time when integrated (however that works) with ST?

I am about to try ST and would like the extra protection of ClamAV (I use avast real-time) if I can have it in a way that does not conflict.

What do you guys know about this?

B.

9. kdm31091

Won't conflict if you install ClamAV with ST, then right click the ST icon in the tray and be sure "Clam Antivirus" is not clicked. Thus it won't be part of the shield and only part of the scans, and thus no conflict.

10. brjoon1021

Just to be clear...

Are you stating that it WILL conflict if I don't uncheck the ClamAV real-time?

Since I have never run two AV at the same time before (if that would be the case here) is the conflict only when they do find a virus and fight over it or is there instability and conflict all of the time?

11. kdm31091

I didn't notice instability or conflict myself I'm just saying it would be wise to uncheck it just in case.

12. brjoon1021

It has been running alongside Norton on my work laptop. No viruses to beat eachother over yet, though. Anyway, I am going to let my work supported laptop take one for the team and I will leave Clam running real-time with Norton and let you all know if there are any conflicts. If it runs well, the added protection is pretty handy. Clam-AV and avast! or Norton together has to be pretty tough to get through, I would think

Thanks,

B.

13. Demoras

Wait a second there. 'ClamAV' does support realtime scanning (for Linux). 'ClamAV for Windows' however, does not, because that feature isn't programmed in that program.
    The ClamAV engine can be used for realtime scanning purposes, as long as the program that's programmed around the engine has this feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.