What is BSODs? And how does Outpost still give it to you?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by disinter1, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I heard this on a board discussion, and right now I am trying this out one more time before I recover my computer for a clean slate. I need to know if this is a big problem so I could just stick with comodo, thanks.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death

As for Outpost, while you can find reports of people encountering BSODs with it installed (see the Outpost forum thread Outpost causing computer to freeze for some recent discussion), in virtually every case it comes down to conflicts with other software (which then get reported and fixed in future builds).

Such conflicts can (and do) occur with other security software and hardware/driver setup plays a role also, making it impossible to predict if any particular setup will encounter problems or not without actually trying it.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I contracted BSOD long time ago from version 2.x but i recovered with some ohmega 3 capsules, amoxycillin and a update to 3.x outpost

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I didn't think that fish oil and an antibiotic would cure BSODs. :D :p :cool:

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've never had a BSOD ever with version 3.5 or version 4. Outpost has given me a few problems but its always been super stable.

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

No bsod from 3.x on, however i do believe that V4 sucks. I can not explain this but the best version was the late version 3's. Somthing about 4.x just does not "feel" right

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have never had a BSOD with any version of outpost. I have seen some problems when I have set this up along side an HIPS,.. untill I have set everything up correctly.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i am starting to think that outpost maybe conflicting with certain HIPS programs. SSM and PS seem to work ok some of the time and other times do strange things.

9. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

I'm using the full 599 ver of SSM with Outpost ver 4.0.971.7030 (584) with no apparent problems - certainly no conflicts. I have Outpost's component control level set to low and also have all necessary application exclusions in its anti-leak control settings feature. I did not like the initial 4.0 release of Outpost but the current release is excellent. However, there are complaints in the Agnitum forum of incompatibilities with dual-core machines DualCore + outpost = BSOD?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are going to be possible problems, my last installation of OP4 (latest version) was made on top of PS,.. on re-boot there was a "stall", and windows explorer became unresponsive,.. a further re-boot, and then adding OP to PS list, giving OP a wide range of control then solved this problem.

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I get a BSOD when I add http://www.speedtest.net/ in the exclusions list for the plugin active content and I add websites to the exclusions list on first visit checked and I click on the link, but when I remove the checkmark and click on the websites link I don't get a BSOD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.