What is better for Drive Thailand or China

Discussion in 'hardware' started by WYC999, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As long as they are assembled according to the manufacturers specs, it shouldn't make any difference.

Thailand and China are both huge OEM manufacturers for many products and not just computer products.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Agree 100%.

WYC999, see Travelstar Z7K500's specs. Read reviews from Newegg.com (according to them, Limited Warranty period is 3 years parts & labor). FYI.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have not noticed a difference between HDDs from either country.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I wouldn’t worry, if you have to get one replaced under warranty, you can't demand one from a specific location anyhow.

My general advice is have a google search, look on the manufacturers support sites for any pattern of reported problems with the specific drive models and if there is, look at other options.

I look for what offers me the best warranty and reliability factors (load/unload cycles, average mean time between failures, shock protection etc) for the money, performance is only a small factor (or I might as well buy SSDs).

Cheers, Nick

6. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

I fully agree the reliability/not SSD part. With the "numbers" i have the problem that that doesn't seem to be good advice anymore. For the 2.5# drives everyone seems to have 600.000 Load/unload and 350-400 Shock and of course only one of 10^14 (which would be one Bit per 11 TB). How to tell a difference then.

Ah the world would be so wonderful if it was as advertised...

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

HGST do drives with higher reliability (they are usually rated for 24/7 operation) , versions of Cinemastar, Ultrastar and EA versions of Travelstar (does take a bit of digging). .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

This illustrates a problem when repairing hard drives. There really is little home users or technicians (outside the factory) can do to repair drives. But one thing is replacing the controller card mounted on the drive (if that is the problem).

But the problem with replacing the card is they have to be the exact same revision (firmware) numbers too. And those two drives have different firmware numbers (A560 vs 420). So you say you have two "identical hard disks", but you don't.

That said, I generally agree, the country of origin probably does not matter here. But if I had a choice, I would go for the Thailand version - if for no other reason than the people of Thailand are a "free people" and the company in Thailand is not under the control of a communist government. While that may be a biased attitude on my part, it is a fact that products coming out of free countries tend to be more reliable.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agree this makes it a pain when they have to be repaired but i assume they used somewhat compatible parts or at least the have some alternate ones, i also agree i would take the thai drive if i absolutely had to pick one of the two. i do still however prefer the korea drives personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.