what is a light and good security suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Paradutch, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradutch

Paradutch Registered Member

Hello,

i was using the Mcafee security suite 2007 untill recently (i got a license from my wifes job) but it was too heavy in use on my 512 mb RAM windows XP machine.(2400 Mherz) Also i didn't like the interface.

I did use a beta of KIS2006 before...but i got some issues with MSN and their firewall. So I stop using that.
    When i read about the bad anti-virus program included with ZAL suite 2006 (CA Vet or something) on several websites...i didn't even bother to try it. Allthough i know the ZA firewall is very good.

Right now I have a licend copy of PC-Cillin internet suite 2006.

Is it any good.....Could you give me your feedback please??

I surely would like to have a complete defense against nasties....av,firewall,antispy etc..etc... I don't like to use 4-5 several different programs.

Suggestions please??

TIA

Paradutch.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm thats a hard one. prevx has most of it covered on just abc mode.

and antivir suite is out end of october. i have never use what your using right now

quote:Right now I have a licend copy of PC-Cillin internet suite 2006.

Is it any good.....Could you give me your feedback please??

its ment to use lots of resourses but as far as i know the detection is good.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I have a few suggestions:

BullGuard: good security, low on resources, not really known by the public
    KIS 6: good security, not really low on resources
    Bitdefender 10: good security

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The vet av engine from CA is not a bad av. actually it is not bad at all in fact it is used in their corporate av.

5. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Give Prevx a try. It covers everything you need.

6. Paradutch

Paradutch Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions....I allready saw that this Trend Micro thing is using a LOT of resources:-(

Or maybe a single AV program, single Firewall, and a single anti-spyware program is bettero_O

I just now checked up my comp with shields up service...and everything was ok.

But like i said Trend Micro is using a lot of resources...and i realy would like to have a lighter suite.

I will give prevx a try...aswell.

thanks.

Paradutch

7. twhk000

twhk000 Registered Member

Hi all

If you are looking for a easy to use and secure program which can do the following

A.. Firewall
    B. Antivirus
    C. Antispyware
    D. Antidialers
    E. Messengers Security
    F. AntiSpamm

You would like all these to be controlled from a single Interface...then there are quite a few like norton, mcafeee, zonealarm, Trend Micro, and many other

You have qutie few optons like you can either use an Internet Suite or break your security structures in different blocks..like using NOD32 antivirus and antispyware( NOD 32 One of the best in market) and using HackerSmacker from Farstone or using the Firewall alone from Zone Alarm or steganos....

But before choosing your Security Suite you need to see how is your computer being used?
    How susceptible is your computer to ever increasing danger of viruses or spywares or so..
    More over your Security Suite to should not consume lot of resources of your machine plus it should not intervene in your day to day work on your computer such as playing games; sometimes your security suite will block access and your games will crash un expectedly, or browsing internet ( it might slow down your speed and cause problems downloading ) or or should i say installation of your varous softwares and your security suite should not be in conflict with other applications due to which your operating system might get into problems..

Well this is what i would say at the moment you can do a further study and see whats your computer habits and then decide ..what is the best in the market may not be the best for you...
    '
    I hope it helps you Para.....

Knight

8. scoopnoggin

scoopnoggin Registered Member

Not bad isn't excellent is it? The corporate AV e-trust uses both the vet and inoculate engines. Of course ez AV uses just the vet engine. Unless something has changed recently, I'd feel really uncomfortable recommending just vet to anyone. Even if the AV is acceptable in Zone Alarms suite, the firewall itself in it's current version has given some number of folks the fits.

Norton 2007 came out today, might be worth a look. (I'd try it out, but I might like it, then I'd want to switch. It's annoying when companies improve their products)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

No I would not recommend the vet av to anyone that is a high risk surfer, but for the average internet user it is adequate.

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I really like the answer quoted below. Figure out your security needs first before going full bore into a suite. Right now the market place is changing a lot with new products and major improvements coming for existing suites.

No suite is light on CPU's. If you don't have say spam issues why worry till you do?

Don't forget a hardware router between of your PC and the internet.
    It hides you IP address! This helps a lot locking out probes by hackers and it can't be compromised by a virus.

You can build your own free suite from the advice in this forum.

SpyBot S&D and Adware personal for spyware.
    AntiVir for AV active protection
    Plus a free software firewall, and you should be fine.

UNLESS you are a big time generator of financial transactions at your bank, then you need to move to industrial strength products like ZA Pro, Spysweeper, etc. Look at the AV comparisons site. But remember the rankings change from test to test.

But don't expect to get away "light" all programs take CPU cycles and memory. The more they do the more they take.

Good Luck

Escalader

11. chaos

chaos Registered Member

You said you dont like separate programs but I will suggest you a "suite" of separate very light programs.

antivirus:nod32(very good and light)
    firewall:Comodo(very good and completely free!Regularly updated)
    anti-spyware:ewido(good and very light)

additionally you could go for prevx1 which is free and if you want to clean some infections you can license it for 3,5$ per month or 25$ per year.

so
    HIPS:prevx1

12. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

none. i wouldnt use any of them. to much money and system trouble. read my sig below for my setup. thats all i will ever use.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg you have got all that power and ram and you only use nod32 and nat router. atleast get a hips

14. twhk000

twhk000 Registered Member

Hi all

Great to see responses and various security configuration showing up... perhaps paradutch it must be more confusing for you now than before...lol..but neverthless this confusion is good if you continue to dig more deep and find out how exactly you would like to use your security software.

I repeat do your home work know how you use your computer and how you surf the internet because this will give a fair idea as to how you can build your security apparatus. Like i said..if you are a risk surfer ...and you do lot of trading and transaction you should be a lot careful ....

Well at the moment i m using Zonealarm 6.5.7222 it has the CA antivirus and antispyware ..and its pretty adequate for me at the moment apart from that i have steganos antispyware so they are working quite comfortably without getting into conflict

Knight

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    It's a really good question! ;)

I like the build your own Suite too. But I am not sure this is the real question.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Building your own suite is probably the best idea so you can tailor it to your needs. A light combo i have been experimenting with is look'n'stop + nod32 + trendmicro antispyware.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the one alot of people are really happy with is the antivir with firewall beta. or your could try look n stop with antivir premium. or maybe prevx and antivir premium and then keep windows firewall on and your sorted.

or prevx on its own with windows firewall.

18. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

NIS 2007 is the lightest and fastest suite on the market. KIS 6.0 is a close second. Everyone else is way behind. McAfee is last with 20 processes and 80MB memory utilization.

19. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

It is sometimes hard to find a suite that has everything you want in one. I also don't know any one suite that has the best antivirus, firewall, antispyware, antispam, adblock or whatever all in one. I think there are some suites that are really good, just not the best at every protection category. There are many individual app combinations that work well and can give you a well rounded solution and let you pick the best for you in each category. I used to look always for the suites, but now I like getting indiviual apps as that way I can choose my own defenses. I find it cool to have different apps to play with, but I realize this would be a turn off for many people. Suites may be easier to deal with because you don't have to learn each individual app, and compatibility is usually less of a worry. In any case you will most likely end up with a good solid protection whether you go with a suite or individual apps because you are knowledgable enough to search around and consider your options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.