What Imaging app works like Virtual Machine change-only snapshots?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mapletree, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapletree

mapletree Registered Member

Hello, could you help me understand the kind of imaging program I look for?

Windows 7 Pro, sp1 is the OS.

I read about the FirstDefense-ISR way, and it seemde very good, too bad it's not available now.

I use Drive Snapshot very much, it's never failed me, I really do love how small but powerful it is.

I also tried the Deep Freeze for awhile, and though it's so strong, it gets a little too much work
    because I like to change things quite often in the system partition (all the data stays on a different one).

What I want is to make several the images at different points of my installing the software applications,
    in a linear progressive manner.

But with the Drive Snapshot I have to make the full image of the partition each time -
    isn't there some imaging approach that would be very much like making Virtual Machine images --
    that would make image of only the changes to the volume,
    & so only use a little time and disk space to make each new level of image ?

.... and then you could reimage according to which level of changes you want to revisit?

Before, with Windows XP, even my full install Drive Snapshot images were less than 4 GB,
    but now with the "new & improved" (NOT !) way of the Microsoft to fatten up the WinSXS,
    well, even the very first level-minimal install of image is almost 5 GB !

I do use the Sandboxie - I paid the lifetime choice several years ago, and really do like this one too.

But overall, I want to continue the imaging plan, it's work so good for me for too long now,
    just I would like to have a slight different approach.

Thank you very much

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Any imaging program that supports incrementals, will do what you need.

For free I recommend Keriver 1-click restore, or the build in backup feature of 7.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.