What If Windows 7 Is A Dud ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I found this article
    http://www.zdnet.com/
    at ZDNet.com and was wondering;
    what if Windows 7 is a titanic disaster, loaded with glitches and serious real-world limitations and conflicts with existing software and drivers, just like Vista was upon it's release ?

Will the public be patient and wait for MS to "get it right" ?

In short, is Microsoft's OS market dominance at stake with this release ?

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Just to be contrary, what if Windows Vista was not really "a titanic disaster, loaded with glitches and serious real-world limitations and conflicts with existing software and drivers"? What if the perceived problems were mostly due to the inability or failure of the peripheral device manufacturers to create drivers for their own hardware? What if the perceived software issues were mostly due to out-of-date or obsolete software continuing to be run long past its reasonable lifespan? What if all the negative hype was simply the result of the trade press trying to drum up readership and subscriptions for their own dying models of publication and sales?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If 7 is a dud also, then more and more people will probably be buying Macs and slowly more will turn to Linux also. But it's a slow process... I doubt the future of Windows or MS rests on any one or 2 OS's.

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Personally, it would not matter to me since I am satisfied with Vista but I would see problems with those who are skipping Vista for Win7. Will they hang on to XP for a while longer? Will they move on to another OS?

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Point well taken, AKAJohnDoe.

No doubt, the Vista "adventure" has taught lessons hopefully not forgotten by any number of software vendors as well as OEMs and end users.

I recall a news item from the summer of 2006 that involved something resembling a press conference where the CEOs of McAfee and Symantec were railing about Microsofts' refusal to divulge (to them) critical information about the OS- primarily the kernel structure. Without this information, they were unable to design compatible security software.

I don't know, only guessing, that the same occurred with the majority of companies looking to supply software and drivers. Upon it's release, there were precious few antivirus , antispyware, and particularly, firewalls that were fully compatible.

*** And, by the way; I agree that there has been much negative press which was decidedly biased against MS.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Likewise, I am satisfied with Vista also. If 7 suffers a similar kind of publicity, then that could be difficult for MS. Especially since most business and corporate users have hung on to XP and are probably waiting now for 7 before they make any changes. If 7 is no good, and XP support is over, that might not sit too well in the business world.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Like Vista, Windows 7 will have to mature with a SP1 release, only then it would deliver its full potential.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

From what I've observed, most corporate and business users are one or two OS releases behind anyway.

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Where I work they are still using windows 2000, they updated from windows 95 6 months ago (and I was going to make a crack about the company being too cheep to update to windows XP).

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. XP Pro no matter how so-called outdated softwares as support for that lame argument. It's a critic's view IMO.

Vista is a fluke, and if 7 follows suite, no business is going to be so naive as to trust an incomplete and risky O/S as Vista. I yet to see a bank or business in my area that doesn't still depend on XP Pro. No vista shows anywhere i seen. Only home users who are the most gullible and have less to lose then business interests.

Corporations don't take chances especially in these hard times to make a switch and jeopardize their clients data and their own data sheets that XP Pro efficiently provides for them in comparison.

I know i might take some heat for my bias, but the proof is in the pudding, and the vista pudding still is a mess IMO. 7 could be nothing more than a Longhorn/Vista clone.

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

The problem with Vista is it not backward compatible.Can anyone tell me wat vista can do which xp cannoto_O .I used both of them , i am still finding it difficult to find the difference except the GUI.

12. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I know you swear by Windows XP to death, however, Windows Vista is not as bad as you're making it out to be. I've seen a few businesses upgrade all their computers to Windows Vista; even my university has already upgraded the majority of their workstations. At the moment, Windows Vista is rock-solid--I've had more crashes with Windows XP than I ever had with Windows Vista.

Based on build 7000, I can see that Windows 7 will be better than Windows Vista. Even at its current state, it is stable and fast. I know it's still early to really decide, but Windows 7 should be better. It builds upon the foundation of Windows Vista, so most of the work has already been done. Compared to what Microsoft did when they transitioned from XP to Vista, the work they are doing for Windows 7 is a piece of cake.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, this is typically the case.... let's hope 7 turns out well. Then everyone can breathe a sigh of relief....

14. Arup

Arup Guest

For corporate use MS recommends 2003 and its quite stable and snappy as well, nothing fancy, has 2K's interface but its stable and so is XPx64 which is directly based on 2003 core with XP GUI.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've got vista, it doesn't work.

i heard Windows 7 is supposed to be better, i haven't tried it and haven't looked, but i heard the betas are on torrents if you're desparate to try it out, you can tell which betas are the newest by the numbers at the end, the last digits are the date and time of day of the release.

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Look mah, a flamebait thread! Like there aren't enough of those... And, of course, it's already infested by the Vista hating XP cronnies. I guess stupid people never learn :rolleyes: Or have short memories, like, forgetting how many BSODs XP had before SP2 and all the other problems and instability. Yeah, XP is perfect, just godlike and Vista doesn't work. Uh Huh, sure.

And the better part, 95+% of people who bitch about Vista have:

A) Never used it
    B) Used it for a day or less and simply surrendered to the FUD without giving it a chance or just gave up because it was different.

OMGS!!!11 IT HAS IS DIFFERENT, I ARE HAS NOT ADAPT!!11 I ARE GO BACK TO XP UHHHH!

or C) Had a Nvidia videocard and blamed the OS for the crappy Nvidia driver's faults.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

before SP1 vista crashed alot.
    this includes the programs that came with it including IE7,media player,side bar etc etc.
    but since SP1 its genrally very good.
    the only problem is that sometimes it slowsdown so much you cant use the mouse.
    if you leave it it will work as normal again after a while.

18. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Till Feb. '04, we were using P3 Win98 workstations and Win2000 servers at work. Now we are using P4 XP Pros and Server 2003s. We usually get new computers and OS's every 4 years or so but since times are kind of tough now the owner said it will be another two years before we upgrade again (hence the increased workload on me and the SysAdmin in computer repairs). We do have a couple of Vista laptops that replaced ones that couldn't be repaired though.

19. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

That's my time walking the dog or take a shower :D

Gerard

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If Windows 7, by some curse of a god has any "Vista-like" problems, public opinions, or any of the mess MS went through with Vista, MS might as well just turn off the lights, lock the doors, and go home. These kinds of "failures" won't sit well for too long with the people who REALLY call the shots, the investors. Linux is going to stay put as long as websites/developers and hardware/software makers stick to proprietary formats/drivers. Apple however would salivate and grin from ear to ear if Windows 7 failed.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder how much more resources Win7 will need? Vista needs about double that XP needs, and an upgrade to Vista needs a new computer or adding double the RAM, bigger HD, etc.

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no, it really doesn't work, i've got vista so i know.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Windows 7 is meant to be able to run on netbooks.

24. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

In my home, there are three computers with Vista, and they all work very well. No mouse slowdown, either.
    It works well for many people.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  25. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Coming from The DOS Days going through versions of windows,There could not be IMO anything worse then ME,Then along came XP, It was like going from a Ford Pinto to a BMW.That being said XP was not that great at first pretty stable for the most part but after some MS patching/fixing its all good.Same can be said with vista at first it was not to good but know it is pretty stable after SP1 and software that actually works on Vista.I think when 7 comes as a Vista user, I am not touching it unless it proves stable from the get Go.Know that my system runs great I rather Not break it with another broken OS.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.