What happened with this..?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Now I'm totally befuffled :blink: I just installed a Clean fresh installation, of Windows Vista Ultimate x 64, or thats what I thought I did anyway, it installed ok, downloaded and installed all updates, and Activated with my Serial Number that I got when I bought Vista Ultimate x86 (32bit). The Computer info tells me I'm running a x64Bit Operating system, Yet when I go the programs in C: drive I see 2 Programs folders, Program Files, and Program Files (x86) o_O Program Files is 579MB and Program Files (x86) is 360 MB :blink: I'm thinking something has gone wrong here right o_O Also when I click on Internet Explorer it says I need to update Flash, but then it says Flash isnt Available for Internet Explorer x64 however I can run I.E x32 Version on a 64Bit system o_O I cant delete the Program Files (x86) Folder as it says I need permission, and programs may not work if I do delete anyway o_O . Also when I download something, the Install directory shows as C:\Program Files (x86)\ :blink: I guess I'm right in thinking this shouldnt be ? and the Program Files (x86) shouldnt be there :blink: o_O

And before you ask, Yes my Machine has a 64bit Processor its AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

XP 64 user here, but probably the same situation. The Program x86 folder is for non-native 64 bit applications to be installed in to\run from. It is normal and how things are supposed to be. MS`s way of backwards compatibility with 32 bit apps. Seems to work fairly well except with a lot of, most security apps.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

I run XPx64 for well over a year and it runs nice without any issues, almost all the drivers I wanted, I was able to get either from MS or the manufacturers, I even found drivers for my ZMicro chipset webcam as well as my Canon printers. The x86 Program Files folder is part of the OS needed for WoW which is the layer that makes it possible to run x32 programs on x64 without any hitch, I run Opera nicely there.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK So let me get this right o_O If I install something that is x64 Compatible, Windows will Automatically choose The Program Files Folder, which is the x64 by default, and if its not x64 Compatible, Windows will Automatically choose the Programs Folder (x86) o_O Of do I have to choose the Installation Directory myself o_O I notice programs are still in the Add/Remove programs regardless of x64 or x86

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

That is correct; the directory will automatically be chosen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.