What Happened To The 'old' Returnil?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by LockBox, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I've been using 'Returnil Virtual System 2008 Personal Edition' on my old laptop with WinXP. I now have a new Win7 laptop and am wanting the same thing - but I can't even tell from the website what version I want. Seems things are done differently using Windows native SysRestore.

Is there still a version that basically just resets everything to a "perfect state" with every reboot? I keep seeing versions with AV, etc. I just want to be back where I was with a clean system every boot.

What do I get? Or, has it changed and you no longer offer that once so beautifully simple system?

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

it is returnil system safe 2011.

it has built in AV but you can disable it.
    it has antiexecutable very useful, you can disable it (not recommended).

3. LockBox

Hmmm. You mean even the free version will still allow a simple instant restore to perfect state (discarding all changes while active)? I was looking at this:
    http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/products and it seems to show that system restore is only available in System Safe 2011 PRO. Maybe I'm not reading the chart right, or maybe it's not clear in what you can/cannot do.

Can Coldmoon confirm that 'System Safe 2011' (free) is basically the same as my old 'RVS 2008 Personal Edition' that I used with XP in that it will allow a instant restore on reboot?

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Returnil System Safe 2011 Free does allow an instant restore on reboot. As an example of reboot-to-restore software, that's its basic function.

Reboot-to-restore shouldn't be confused with System Restore, which is an additional feature of the paid version. You can read about System Restore here: -

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/files/manuals/en_us/rss/ch06.html

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, basically. It still produces some warnings that must be disabled manually.

6. LockBox

Okay, I see. Thanks for the info. The confusion comes from the comparison chart not using the term "reboot-to-restore" or anything like it.

7. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

In the caparison chart, the section that is about boot-to-restore (aka Instant System recovery - ISR) is:

Mike

8. LockBox

Oh! That's supposed to make it clear that there is instant recovery on reboot?

I was expecting something along the lines of:

"You know - you're right. The only thing that talks about instant restore is, "Virtual Mode: Keeps you safer with an extra layer of protection while browsing the web or running unknown applications." No way does that explain instant restore. Thanks for bringing that to my attention." - Mike​

Oh well. Now I know. Thanks for the info.

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

What is this new AV feature? Is it an AV like Eset, Avast or more along the lines of Malwarebytes etc? Will the "AV" argue with Avast or will they both get along without grappling? Anything it clashes with?

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I believe it's http://www.f-prot.com/ if I'm not mistaken.

I have no idea.
    But I would be very hesitant to have two AV's on one machine. (or one for that matter, but that's just me :D)

11. Coldmoon

Hi,
    The Virus Guard is a completely functional Antimalware/AV with a twist or two:

1. It is compatible with most 1st and 2nd tier antiviruses

Note: With Avast!, the order of install MAY be relevant in some rare cases. What happens is that it may partially interfere with the installation of RSS. In this case, simply uninstall both, reinstall RSS, then reinstall Avast! and you should be good to go.

2. It will provide real-time monitoring with Full and Quick scan options

3. KEY: it is designed as a team player where it is one element in a vertical layered security strategy

4. Makes use of multiple engines; one of which LoneWolf mentions above, but also with our own policy updates for both black and white lists as well as a cloud based element that updates all clients through our server side AI/machine learning technology (the data collection policy is part of this where suspicious behavior and file data is sent for analysis and update as appropriate.

RSS is all about closing the gaps in a single program where the component parts are designed to back each other up with their core competence.

A. AV: Detection/canary-in-a-coal-mine
    B. default-deny Anti-execute: if it can't run, it can't infect
    C. Boot-to-restore: Even if something goes undetected, the TIME TO REMOVAL is only as long as it takes to restart the computer. This feature also backs up the Virus Guard as a removal engine: detect something new, simply restart and it's gone
    D. Pro version) System restore: if all else fails, restore to an earlier time before the problem occurred

Mike

12. Technical

Technical Registered Member

I just feel the old and good Returnil allow to run side by side with other antivirus.
    Now you can't.
    You know, disable is not enough to avoid conflicts and problems of two antivirus at the same time.

13. Coldmoon

Please read what I said above - the RSS Virus guard component is FULLY COMPATIBLE with most 1st and 2nd tier antiviruses.

We regularly test to verify this in the lab with a wide range of alternate AVs. At the current time, the only AV that has an incompatibility with RSS is CA Antivirus; other than that, there is no problem using RSS and your current AV solution together, at the same time, with both program's real time monitoring active as well.

This was by design:

1. More eyes on the prize
    2. Relief for customers who have current licensing for an AV product so that they would be able to get full value/use out of said licensing

RSS 2011 is both a complete stand-alone security solution (reduce overall licensing and compliance costs by slimming 5 solutions into one) and team player as required.

How is this possible?

The vision behind RSS is one where; as opposed to traditional AV industry thinking, detections are important, but TIME TO REMOVAL is critical.

In the race to create the ultimate detection regime, the AV Industry missed the real goal. They have sacrificed performance, introduced questionable changes to the system, demanded exclusivity, have sometimes been more damaging than the malware they purport to protect you from, and have become ever more intrusive in an attempt to be able to try and detect everything all the time.

As history has shown, this has been a complete and utter failure while at the same time teaching users the wrong lessons. RSS on the other hand is a next generation expression of the power and efficacy of a true layered strategy for PC/network security that is flexible, high performance, and effective where other security programs fail time and again...

Mike

14. Technical

Thanks Mike.
    Right now, I can't use RSS as I have a Truecrypt full encrypted computer.
    But, I agree that time to restore is critical.
    Does RSS works with snapshots (like RX or Comodo Time Machine) or just one point (clean) to restore? Which is the technology behind it: snapshotting, file backup, virtualization of files, etc.?

15. Coldmoon

RSS/RVS are disk level virtualization or boot-to-restore. We are working on a new product that also includes snapshotting that is still in development, but coming along nicely.

16. Technical

Thanks!
    Hope the snapshotting technology does not dye and survive Windows 8 release.
    Go, go, go...

17. Coldmoon

We have already begun testing under the current developer release of Windows 8 and we should be in good shape when 8 is finally released as a final.

Mike

18. Technical

Thanks. Keep the hard work. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.