What Firefox setting must I change?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I get the attached message when I try to use some editing features while composing messages here at Wilders in the [WYSIWYG mode] using Firefox. I was able to do those things with IE, but there is no equivalent of a Trusted Zone.* I can do the colours, sizes & fonts, bolds, underlines & italics but can't cut or paste w/o going to the tools above the window.

I've enabled Wilders to do everything I can find in Firefox Tools/Options, and have the two Java-related boxes checked. Looks like I may need to do something in about:config, which I used to tweak it a bit with suggestions posted in a "reputable forum." However, I don't know what setting to tweak for this. ALSO...I've noticed that some folks are able to insert smileys w/o attaching them separately. I can't, but would like to be able to.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.:)

*Actually, I use the Intranet Zone, custom configured, for sites that are trusted enough to want to format text I input, but not needing all permissions M$N requires to use their site for updates.

Attached Files:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I am posting this using wysiwyg using Firefox and not getting that error message.

What settings did you change?

BeetleBoss can help you with those smilies!

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure those tweaks would cause your problem. Do your options for javascript look like those in the screenshot? Also, have you checked your firewall settings?

Attached Files:

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Yes, exactly...but in red! ;)

I haven't checked the firewall...wouldn't know what I was looking for. I think the next paragraph has relevant info that gets SPF off the potential hook.

I came back to add that I just posted in the ePrompter forum, and I can do the things there I can't do here. That site doesn't have the same permissions in Firefox that Wilders has, so... :doubt:

(I wonder where my email notification of your reply at 1:49 pm, PST, is? o_O )

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What version of Firefox are you running? If 1.0, just installover the top and see if that helps. Leave the settings in about:config to the default values for awhile.

Other than that, check your options in your control panel here.

I'm not familiar with Sygate so I am not sure what it may be blocking.

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

By that, you mean install without uninstalling first, right? Yes, it's 1.0. If so, I'll try it. Something may have somehow become corrupted.

If Sygate was blocking, it would've blocked for the ePrompter forum, too. At least, that's what non-computer logic tells me.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you looked at all your options here to make sure they are what you want?

All the problems with Firefox here have been related to firewalls, proxies or settings.

Did yours just all of a sudden quit or has it always done this?

One more thing you can try is safe mode for Firefox. Start, Mozilla Firefox, safe mode. This mode disables any extensions you may have downloaded.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

All my options here are as they should be.

I just started using Firefox in early December, and don't think I posted here until January using it. It's been like this in Firefox since then.

Try WHAT in safe mode? Safe mode is one of the things I've not yet learned how to use. My computer education has come on a need-to-know basis with experience. :oops: I don't enjoy technical reading unless I'm doing something hands-on...and get in trouble when I read and decide what to do without advice from someone who actually knows.

For SOME reason, I'm not getting notifications in this thread, though I am with others I'm currently subscribed to...wonder what that's about...:doubt:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox safe mode just disables any extensions you may have added. If you haven't added any extensions, it won't help.

Some process on your computer is preventing Wilders from working correctly.
    As I am using Firefox right this moment, it must be something else that is doing it.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/

Not sure. I would make sure I was subscribed to the thread. :)

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm in IE, now, and can edit in the window without resorting to the functions at the top of the page.

I added the spell checker when I first installed it...but it doesn't catch mis-spelled words, so that's yet to be dealt with. I installed the Quick Time Player to see my daughter & son-in-law in eHarmony commercials w/o waiting for them on TV in early January.

I'll see if I can find a place that tells me what I've added for sure so I can tell you, but will probably wait until morning to do it. I've got an impatient cat who thinks it's time for me to lie down with her.

Do you think trying a new download would be worth the effort? And if so, should I uninstall first?

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Just want to add, don't be afraid of Firefox or of messing it up. It is the most forgiving app as far as removing or reinstalling. You won't break your computer.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you have 1.0, I see no reason to download it again. If you go to start, Mozilla Firefox, you will see two modes

I'm not in a hurry if you aren't. :)

Attached Files:

14. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Beyond reinstalling either over the current install or after uninstalling, I don't know what to DO with it...especially about this. I could cut & paste just fine with Firefox at the ePrompter forum, as I said. I can COPY here from the right-click options...

15. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'd best wait for tomorrow...I'm in the safe mode now, but see no difference! I wonder what configure file it's referring to!

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sounds good to me. :)

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  18. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Will look. I put a screenshot of the message in the first post, when I started this thread. :D

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. :rolleyes: :blink:

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

<laughing> Does the message give you any insight? Gosh...you must've thought I was trying to be mysterious about it! :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

The right-click options I can't get a screen snapshot of are different than what I get when I right-click on text I enter elsewhere. It's missing the Cut & Paste options. Those are the things I can't do in the composing window. I CAN do them from the top of the page...I guess it's Firefox that's doing those.

These are my right click options here in Wilders when highlighting text while writing it:

Copy
    Check Spelling (I added this, but it doesn't catch misspellings :()
    Search Web for "[highlighted text]"
    This Frame >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>opens to a lot of Frame-related choices*
    View Selection Source

*I don't know what a Frame is. Right now, that's alright.;)

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It sounds like it's something they're aware of...which means my system isn't corrupt anywhere. Perhaps I should live with it?

My Firefox blocked the pop ups...why didn't yours, I wonder...o_O

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Actually, it was a popover. One of those newer type irritants.

Look at the second link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.