What Firefox addons can crash?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    My Firefox crash several times. I start safe mode then disable some addons...and then open it again. It just runs fine now, but still wondering what specific addons could really cause this crash.

Do you think Calling ID Link Advisor could crash firefox browser? or it might be other programs?

Here's the installed addons in my latest Firefox:

Attached Files:

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think you might have some over kill going. Maybe NoScript and AD-Blocker is enough. IMO:)

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Disable suspected add-ons one by one and test yourself until you find real culprit.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I believe CallingID Link Advisor has had problems.

I don't know if it is similar to this for Chrome.

You may just have way too many extensions. I have 11 on Chrome & I think I'm pushing it. I have 10 on Firefox, it seems to handle multiple extensions better as a whole I think. It could be just one extension causing the problem.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't have any problems with FF once it's up, but since day one, I experience a 26+/- second cold start time. I have been told it's a RAM problem, but I have 1GB of RAM with 500Mb's available at any given time. I also installed Chrome, and in the beginning it took 10 seconds to cold load, but now takes pretty much the same as FF. IE used to take 8 seconds to cold load, but that now takes around 16 seconds, and IE has no extensions or anything on it because I don't use it. I only have a half dozen extensions on both FF and Chrome, and in the past I have tried the disabling them to find a culprit too.

6. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

It depends upon ur system .;)

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Outpost is powerful, also when you run in to bugs or set it up in a wrong way ;) Just a wild guess. If you get the idea to exclude away may be start with that one.

There might be conflicting extensions but no need to drop any. Use more than 1 profile. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager#Profile_Manager_shortcut one of the best but least advertised Firefox features. So you could have a standard with extensions for normal human browsing (with Adblock Plus perhaps) - then another for paranoid browsing. Make as many as you like. Can even run them at the same time. Won't work if you think Firefox is risky without extensions you have picked up here and there. Anyway, you can have 40-50 extensions running smoothly if they are carefully chosen + some greasemonkey scripts. All depends on what they do and what that means for how Firefox works. Extensions are updated over and over for good reasons.

Also update to Firefox 4, is faster, more stable and you might as well start to check which extensions are over the hill and which to use instead. Still not updated extensions often works, use Add-on Compatibility Reporter https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/ or the more famous Nightly tester tool something.

8. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

If you started in Safe Mode and all went well then you know it's an extension or theme. You'll just have to disable them one by one until you find it. If it just started doing it, the most likely candidate will be the last one you installed but not necessarily. If you recently updated FF, it might not be compatible with one of your extensions. Usually if there's an incompatibility though, FF will simply not enable that extension but maybe not. There's an extension for FF called Nightly Tester Tools that lets you override any incompatibility there may be between FF and extensions. I've used it for a long time. I have 19 extensions and have never had any problems because there are too many, it's always a compatibility issue.

9. Daveski17

Just out of interest, how many extensions does anyone think you could use on Firefox before there were any noticeable problems? That is assuming they were all compatible of course.

10. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

You mean extensions which consist of 3 css lines or monsters like Cooliris? How many programs can you install on Windows if we assume hd space is not a problem? Photoshop type or Notepad replacement? There are some unknown factors in that question. Unless there is a hardcoded limit I would say unlimited - prove it wrong and post back ;) What does without noticeable problems mean btw? If Firefox becomes slower to start up, and it will, then that alone is enough to make some notice a problem. Also even if you only use 30-40 extensions and everything is working ok you still need to be critical towards combinations. Pretty brave to claim absolute stability. Takes much time and browsing to say that so impossible question you ask. What is possible to install before it blow up you can answer if bored for 1-2 hours, heh.

11. Daveski17

Oh OK. I was just wondering how many extensions on average most Fx users have. I was thinking of what Americans idiomatically refer to as a 'ballpark figure' I believe.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've had no long term problems with DownThemAll!, NoScript, BetterPrivacy, Adblock Plus, and Live HTTP Headers. I would place those on the list of unlikely suspects. I don't think WOT is problematic but found it to be more trouble than it was worth to me. The rest I have no idea. I has a simlilar problem a while back and fixed it by disabling them one at a time until the crashing stops. It may take a little time but you'll find it.

13. Daveski17

The biggest problem I ever had with Firefox crashing was with an extension. It was the Google toolbar! I've not used it since. It worked fine on Fx #2 but the change to #3 was problematic. I eventually figured it out. I've never been much of a fan of non-native toolbars ever since.

14. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

And if you used it today it would most likely work fine. How it goes with stuff that is maintained and bugfixed. Not so sure about AVGs efforts though! There are loads of crap and poorly supported extensions at add-on site. A good idea to check out authors homepage, what other extensions they have made, history of updates. Besides of course having a good idea of what extension does and how/why it is useful to you. The more intelligent reviews by other users can also give important hints, points to conflicts and so on. Not impossible to research but still much is left to actual experience of chosen combination. Good thing it is easy to install/uninstall or disable/enable for troubleshooting.

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

besides addons make sure it's not a plug in that makes FF crash. I've had problems in the past (other browsers) with flash and java causing crashes

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Guys, if you want to find the 'culprit' and if you have 30s-40s add-ons installed, here's a suggestion:

Rather than disabling an extension one by one, why not disable a few at the same time and then find the 'group' or 'bundle' of add-ons which caused the problem...and then from there, determine that exact 'culprit(s)'.

Better still, start afresh and consider it as the time to re-think on what add-ons deserve to be the 'wife' or 'girlfriend' and separate them from the ones which are just "one-night_stand" or "fling". Hard to figure that one out? Follow Bambo's suggestion of using more than 1 profile as it helps. If you're still unsure, try using a different browser and then browse the web as per normal...intuitively, you'll be able to tell which add-ons you really need.

You might eventually figure out that you could do without most of the other add-ons.

17. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Well you must troubleshoot with the right spirit so not to go I DON'T NEED ANY EXTENSIONS AT ALL, problem solved! Would be sad outcome ;) Firefox still has an embarrassing lack of obvious ready for 2011 features, like mouse gestures. I am confident majority can make use of that, they just don't know it yet. Don't have to mention tab handling. Mozilla underestimate users or don't know how to test properly. I assume they use group tests like any other big company with products to deliver. Because people are against change does not mean they won't ever see the light - and then never go back! Avoid any sign of conservatism :) Problem is it require a special interest to wade through and check out 100s of possible candidates. Click, click even if based on ratings/popularity is no foolproof solution.

People are typically scared of messing up what works so another reason why Mozilla should pimp profile manager more. In their heads it is a "developer" tool. Dumb, what other browser has anything like it? Should be good for "sales" and takes away possible concerns with changing stuff.

Plugins is another matter. They don't follow extension logic. Even if you disable what you don't need they will often enable them self again. Through updates. Way too much silent installations is at work. Can get loads of crap without knowing it unless plugin list is kept eye one. Firefox should offer better handling of them. You can control the new plugin container via user.js or about:config but I believe that is all. Tons of other plugins decide their own destiny.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Be careful upgrading your Shockwave Flash plugin. I guess I let something get past me and I wound up with Symantec icons on my desktop and a pop up telling me to click continue to do a scan. I'm thankful again I have FDR-ISR so I could get rid of it easy. :eek:

19. Daveski17

It isn't ever going to have the chance! You are right about checking the release homepage & comments though. A good clue is how popular the extension is & how often it is updated. Personally, I have always found that WOT, ABP & NoScript to be more or less trouble free. Ghostery has got better & Flagfox has never given me any issues. I had a few problems with WorldIP - flag and datacenter, ping and traceroute once. I think it is a great add-on but I went back to Flagfox.

20. Daveski17

Now, that IS scary! :eek:

21. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Adobe installation often have an extra gift for you. Could be Symantec Scanner, Mcafee crap or whoever they make a deal with. Probably depends on where you live and what time of year they run such promotions. That such a huge profitable company find it cool to deliver "add-ons" with no relation to what you really are installing tells a story about how messed up installations can get. From global companies to tiny "freeware" products with ask toolbar and such gifts. Also how Chrome pump up installations btw. Google knows about bundling via their Google Pack. You must have both eyes wide open when installing most things, expect the worst. When I click Cancle do I cancle the real installation or the add-on, hmmm. How many even think about that? Is called a business opportunity ;)

22. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Those are 2 rules of thumb that I abide by.:thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.