What exactly happens after OS is restored to a USB-connected hard drive?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by alexis1, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexis1

alexis1 Registered Member

Sorry, newbie question here:

Once I use Paragon Backup and Recovery 2011 (Free) to restore/recover my C:/ drive to a USB-connected hard drive, and want to run all my programs for a while from that external drive (just to confirm successful backup imaging) ... how do I tell my computer to use the OS from the external drive, not the original C:/ drive in my desktop?

And similarly, how do I tell it to run all my programs, (Windows, Firefox, Excel, etc.) from the external hard drive, not the "original" C:/ hard drive?

Thanks much, I appreciate your patience!

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Try it, you'll like it.

Judt set your BIOS to boot from the USB drive after recovering into it, the USB will become the C: drive, the system will assign the old HDD C: a new unused letter and start normally.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

AFAIK, Windows can´t boot from an external USB disk.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That is my understanding as well but I thought perhaps there was some Paragon magic I don't know about.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I think as long as the USB drive shows in your BIOS, it will. In fact, I made a RAW copy to a USB drive, tried to boot from it, a sreen came up asking if I wanted to change the hardware config or something. I chickened out then but appeared that Windows was going to allow it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.