what ever happened to windows defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by OriginalGnome, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OriginalGnome

OriginalGnome Registered Member

So i've finally decided on the following setup: KAV+Comodo+a couple other diagnostic tools. But one thing i don't have yet is a anti-spyware app. I looked at several free/paid offerings and so far the only one that looks to actually fulfill its role is spyware terminator.

However i suddenly remembered m$ once offering somthing of its own to tackle spyware. I've never tried windows defender as it was still beta last time i looked but i think its alpha now, though i'm not sure (no references are made on m$'s website as to beta or alpha anymore).

So i ask you: is windows defender any good? Or is it another one of those apps that suffer from the same achillies heel as spyware terminator (or that of any other real-time scanning anti-spyware app - cpu overload)?

2. john2g

john2g Registered Member

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I wouldn't use it.
    There are better options available.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I use SpywareTerminator, and have had no issues with cpu, except for when I had Clamwin AV (which comes optionally with it) set to resident. Unticked that box, all was good.
    SAS free is possibly a better application, but lacks realtime.
    WindowsDefender is free with realtime, from what I've read it's not so effective.

6. btman

btman Registered Member

Windows Defender... STILL detects bearshare and BSPlayer as threats....

7. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I would agree with the other posters who suggested Spyware Terminator and SuperAntispyware. Along with Comodo & KAV, you would have good protection. Along with those two, I would suggest using Spyware Terminator running resident protection (I am impressed with it's real-time protection on my system) and SuperAntispyware as an on-demand scanner. Both are free and very effective. Also, Spyware Terminator uses very minimal resources and won't tax your system. The only caution would be using the HIPS function in Spyware Terminator along with Comodo. I don't use Comodo, but if I remember right, it already has some kind of HIPS or behavior blocking built in. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. However, ST's resident shield protects against many exploit areas, including the startup registry. I think SuperAntispyware's scanner is a little better, as I've never had a false positive with it (that may not be true for others, but it has been my experience), while Spyware Terminator does have a tendency to generate FP's, although not as many as other apps I've used, such as Spybot, CounterSpy, Ewindo & a2. At any rate, running just those 3 resident apps would give you very good protection if you employ a reasonable amount of care while surfing the web. The only thing I can't tell you is how Spyware Terminator gets along with KAV. I know from experience that KAV many times doesn't play nice with some other security products, which is why I no longer use it. Have had too many BSOD's with it installed, and none since I got rid of it. Of course, everyone's system is different, and there are many who have had no problems with KAV. Personally, I use ST with NOD32, so I can't say how ST's resident protection works alongside KAV. I would think they should get along fine, and would be worth trying. As far as Windows Defender, I believe ST has it beat, hands down. Also, I have a problem using a security product from a company that designed a system that is so easily corrupted by malware in the first place. Also, I used WD for awhile, and was not impressed (understatement of the year). Also, I really don't like the idea that it has to update under the Windows Update platform, as who knows what else Microsoft is putting on your computer along with updating WD... Don't want to get me started on that... Anyway, hope this helps.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

KIS and therefore KAV play nice with all my security programs, including ST.

9. 337

337 Registered Member

I run WD as a stand alone scanner and spysweeper my resident protection.
    I will say that neither one has ever found anything on my PC, so I don't know how good WD really is... :doubt:

10. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Not sure about Bearshare, but AFAIK the "free" version of BSPlayer comes nowadays with adware so in that sense the WD detection for that is justified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.