What else to use with Avast Home Edition?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

What else should I pair Avast Home Edition with? I stopped using NOD32, and I'm trying out Avast, then I'm going to try KAV, and Avira. I don't want to hear that Avira is better or anything, I just want to know what would be a good pair up for Avast Home edition. Currently, I just have Avast HE, Windows Firewall, and a Hardware Firewall, and Malwarebits for an On-Demand scanner, same with A-Squared for on-demand, any advice?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would just add a behavior blocker to avast. Maybe mamutu or threatfire Or just Avast and a sandbox/virt program like sanboxie or defensewall.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Use a HIPS/BB, sandbox/virtualization, and imaging

4. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I use Avast home ed. with Threatfire and GESWall free. I scan every now and then with Malwarebytes and SAS.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

At home, when I surf, I run under a limited user account, and use Avast, Superantispyware Pro, WinPatrol Plus, MJ Registry Watcher and the Comodo Firewall (with D+). (I also use Ad Muncher but that's not for protection. It's for fun! :) )

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You didn't state which OS your using? Is it the Vista 64 bit or XP 32 bit or both?

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Greetings Metal425 :)

Avast Home 4.8 i think it is now, is a good choice.

You will get an extended combination of different many selections from members however, so here is mine if it helps.

With Avira 9 & NOD32 on different boxes respectively as my AV's of choice at present, i like to use Mamutu as a Behavioral Blocker to compliment and offset potential vectors of unknown files which might have a magic pack to evade AV detections. Also, like others, a good HIPS is useful but very cumbersome to set up and you end up having to pay a lot of attention to this type of set up.

The only No-Touch strategy i might suggest is RETURNIL RVS (free) and/or Sandboxie. I had 0 experience with GesWall so others can vouch for that alternative.

Thats about it. I would mention ProcessGuard 3.5 but not sure of it's availability right now, i got mine early luckily with no problems and it also compliments my AV w/Mamutu, only their fee products, so the above virtuals might be worth a try for you and Avast!

EASTER

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Easy. Sandboxie. I use SBIE and Avast Home with just the standard shield (high) and my machine runs light and secure.

Ice

9. progress

progress Guest

Nothing ;)

I'm deciding between A2 and MBAM, what do you prefer?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    MBAM, imo a2 is the past.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm pretty happy with GeSWall Pro alongside avast!. I added Windows Defender not long ago, which can be configured to run as a full-blown HIPS by using real-time protection and configuring advanced options (including heuristics) and joining SpyNet. I happen to think WD is underrated and steadily improving. It's always beneficial to have SpywareBlaster onboard. The OS Firewall inside ZoneAlarmPro is itself a behavior blocker, so there is added protection in that. All of the programs in my signature are running very nicely together. I had ThreatFire installed but removed it because I suspected conflicts with ZAP's OS Firewall. Comodo's BOClean is supposedly doomed as a standalone product, but I'm riding it out until the bitter end. Good luck. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.