What download manager/accelerator for wireless net?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was a little bit disappointed when trying to download large file w/ the wireless internet connection. In the past I just use Firefox downthemall and it's just fine with cable. But with wireless even if it says download 100% complete the file isn't still complete that I have to download again.

Connection here changes between HSDPA and 3G. Sometimes fast then go sometimes slow.

What download manager is the best for wireless net connection?

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

If you use Firefox, then FlashGot is an excellent plugin to help make the most of whatever download manager you choose. Personally I like Free Download Manager (FDM), just make sure it's running if you have 'Autostart downloads' selected in FlashGot.

I doubt it's the "best," but I liked it well enough out of the several free ones I tried, and it's usually able to resume downloads after a break in the connection. Sometimes it's even resumed downloads (that I had forgotten about) after I rebooted my computer and restarted FDM. If you have problems downloading from a popular software site that gives you multiple links to the download (e.g. majorgeeks.com), then you can add the other links (mirrors) to the download in FDM and it's likely to pick up where it previously left off without you losing the already downloaded portion of the file.

3. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

im using Orbit :thumb:

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

+1 for FDM. I am using it since version 2. It is one of the best download managers with plenty of customizations and integrations with popular browsers. BTW, I am on EV-DO rev. A device and FDM has never caused any problem for me.

5. sweater

when I try to download files w FreeDownload Manager it just says it has no right to access the drive and the file could not be found when it restart ...or something like that. I am using limited acct when surfing the net. How to access or change the setting of FDM so that the download will not be messed up?

How bout if I just use the firefox extension downthemall or flashgot? Could this also be comparable to FDM...as long as it does the work?

Also, when I try to download bigger files, it can only download half of it...and it just says the server didn't support resume.

What should I do?

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I don't use limited acct so not sure exactly, but under Options -> New Downloads, you can specify the download and temp file directories. Make sure those locations are accessible under limited acct.

I've used DownloadThemAll in the past and it's very popular, but I decided not to keep it. Same with FlashGot by itself - I'm pretty sure even the FlashGot website or author recommends to use it with one of the download managers.

Right-click the download and choose Download Properties -> Mirrors. Add another source for the file if multiple exist, or go to the original source, 'Copy Link Location', and if it has changed then add it as the mirror. It's worth a try. Also, under options you can choose to search for mirrors automatically, which I haven't tried but it might be of use to you.

Also, maybe the server for a file you are downloading just goes down sometimes so that no download manager could finish getting it. If that's the case, then you may simply try to finish the download later (i.e. close FDM but don't delete the downloads, then open it again later).

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

@sweater

-Open FDM --> Options --> Settings --> Advanced and change service files path to directory on other drive (e.g., D:\FDM)
    -No comment. Your choice.
    -File resume capabilities depends on source server. Downloading from sharing services depends on their offers, e.g., free user cannot resume downloads from raphidshare/hotfile/etc, but premium/paid user can resume downloads. Ensure that you do not FDM while downloading file from a server, which do not offer resume capabilities. You can also enable mirror-searching support from Options --> Settings --> Mirrors.

9. sweater

Still couldn't figure it out. Even after I configured the settings. When I try to click with it w/ Flashgot the download isn't beginning. Actually, I've already used FDM in the past but then I decided to uninstall it coz I could not used it.

Maybe this only works on administrative acct, and problem occurs when used it in limited acct.

I hesitate on downloading and installing Orbit downloader coz some reviewers says -- "we had great difficulty getting Orbit to work seamlessly with Firefox". As I am only using firefox browser surfing the net.

As of now, using with Firefox 4 beta, I am just trying to use the simple built-in browser downloader in it. As Firefox 4 felt faster that it could maybe successfully download the file completely. I am just experimenting with it. Let's see what it can do.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Just make sure FDM is running and that Firefox -> Tools -> FlashGot -> Autostart downloads is checked. Then when you click on download links normally, FlashGot should intercept them triggering FDM to download the targets instead of Firefox. Or right-click the link and choose download with Free Download Manager. At least that works on my system.

Note: There are some download links that FDM fails on. When that happens I disable the 'Autostart downloads' from FlashGot and use Firefox itself to download.

edit: sorry, meant 'Autostart downloads' has to be enabled

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  11. guest

guest Guest

12. sweater

Yeah. I am now using it and it works flawlessly on my pc even using in limited acct. It integrate well on firefox and also download fast...but haven't tried it yet with bigger files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.