What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Sand, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I can boot the Acronis cd but can't load the program. They want me to do the following...

In order to resolve your situation, please perform the following 2 steps, provided below:

1. Boot from Windows Vista installation disc, select language and keyboard or input method, click Next and choose to Repair your computer. Then you will need to select the operating system that you want to repair. In the System Recovery Options dialog box click Command Prompt and type the following:
    Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If you want to completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data, then you should issue the following command:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store.

2. After you're able to boot into the Windows Vista environment, please do the following to check the HDD for errors:

Please check the disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

I have the Dell "reinstallation" Vista DVD - is that alright to use for this... I don't have the Vista CD from Windows.

And if I rebuild - what does this mean... "This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store."

what the heck is a "data store."

I can email them back and they are good about responding but it takes over 24 for any reply to get answered. I was hoping to resolve this today if possible.

Has anybody done what they have suggested above - if you have was it difficult and did everything go as planned. So far I have done several things and NONE of them have gone as planned. I want to make sure before I even start this process what hazards may befall me...

Sandy

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You say the Acronis CD will boot, but the program on it doesn't load?

Not being able to boot the program on the Acronis Rescue CD has nothing to do with what operating system is on the drive. They misunderstood your situation.

How far into the boot process did it get?

3. The Sand

Hi, I have another thread on this called "Can't boot from the rescue cd" that says quite a bit about the entire situation. I started this thread because it basically went into "Vista repair" which is different.

Basically, I can boot the Cd and it goes to that blue screen where you select what you want to do and I select "Load full version of Acronis" and then... nothing. I know that computer can boot and load other things because I installed the Disk Director Suite on it and it booted and loaded that.

I have been going back and forth with Acronis Support who have been very nice... they requested information on my computer and after they reviewed it they told me to do this "repair."

Any insight would be helpful since I am obviously over my head. Making matters worse is this is my mother's computer (her first - she is all excited) and I don't want anything to go wrong... or she may kick my little behind!

Sandy

4. DwnNdrty

I've been noticing your other thread ... too much to read through. But have you tried the acpi=off noapic that is in the "Read Before You Post" sticky?
    Does this computer have Sata drives?
    Are there usb hubs connected to the computer?
    Does it have a wireless keyboard and mouse?
    Does the cd boot on your computer?

5. The Sand

Yeah, sorry... I can get "wordy."

I did try that ACPI=off noapc (or something to that effect.)

I have no idea if the hard drive is sata - it's a Dell Inspiron bought at Best Buy. Just basic.

It has 4 USB ports - No "hubs" are attached. nothing is "attached" to it when I try to boot and load - I figured I would put in the external drive after I at least got it to load.

GoverH asked me about the wireless keyboard and mouse. It's a laptop and we use the touchpad - no added keyboard or mouse.

yes, the CD boots and loads on all my other computers...

Thanks for you time here...

Sandy

6. The Sand

I inserted the Dell DVD with the Operating system on it and restarted. It said "hit any key to boot from CD/DVD." I hit the space bar and then it took me to the login page... I logged in and it loaded windows like normal. I would have to "run setup" to get the DVD to work and I have no idea if that is what I should do.

My only other alternative is to pay for some kind of premium support here so I can get somebody to talk to me. Doing it this way - via email is just not working. I don't understand why they are telling me something is "broken" when the only thing this computer doesn't do is load that particular Acronis True Image program from CD(remember it DOES load Acronis Disk Director Suite.)

I'm done with this now...

Sandy

7. DwnNdrty

Best Buy only just started to sell Dell so most likely it's a Sata drive. And really, no laptop these days on the retail shelves can be described as "just basic". That Dell is probably more powerful than anything I have here. :D

I've read here about other users having some other problems between True Image and Dell more than any other brand.

One last thought before I tell you to bring it to me here and I'll look at it - no consultation fee :) ... just kidding. Did anyone suggest you make the special BartPE cd with the Acronis Plug-in?

8. The Sand

I'm holding right now for "pay support." I paid like 39 bucks or something so hopefully I'll get some help that I can understand...

As for making a "BartPE cd with the Acronis Plug-in?" No I didn't do that one - I did some ISO burn CD though...

As for having you take a look at it - I read your stuff all the time - I would if you were around here...

Thanks for replying!

Sandy

(still holding....)

9. DwnNdrty

Some users here have reported that they have better luck with the Paragon Drive Backup product. Maybe you'll be one of those. ;)

10. The Sand

I hope I can use the Acronis, it's the second version of 11 I have bought. I would hate for that purchase to go to waste. I have 11 on my Dell notebook XPS1530 and everything has been fine (although I have not had to do a restore yet.) I really have had NO problems with anything Acronis I am currently running. I'm hoping they can get this "initial" problem corrected and then I'll be fine. Obviously the way to get that done is PAY them to pick up the phone! (hee hee...)

Sandy

11. The Sand

They are sending me another ISO file to burn...

Sandy

12. The Sand

I swear that it's the SAME ISO file I have already burned... of course it's not working... so I have to call back again.

Sandy

13. DwnNdrty

Better to spend your time reading up on how to make the BartPE with the True Image plug-in.

14. The Sand

I'm not going to call back - they're stupid.

What and where is this, "how to make the BartPE with the True Image plug."

Sandy

15. DwnNdrty

The True Image Plug-in for BartPE used to be included with the True Image software up to ver 10. But I've read some reports here that indicated that for ver 11, you have to login to your account on the Acronis website and find it there. Exactly where I don't know. (I'm still using ver. 9).

So see if you can find it and then search in the forum here for BartPE - there'll be tons of threads, one should be for making the cd with the True Image plugin.

16. The Sand

Thanks! I'll check it out...

Sandy

17. DwnNdrty

18. The Sand

hee hee... I was Just going to post this...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162424

It's the same thread!

It is some guide you buy on how to do it... I just bought it - only $1.99! Ya know, if money could have fixed this problem - it would have been solved by now.

Thanks so much for taking the time here. Hopefully the guide will get me out of this mess. I am rolling with Vista, Dell and no installation cd (3 things that could be a problem) so I don't know - but I will try.

Thanks,
    Sandy

19. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I could be wrong but I think you may be needing the VistaPe, do a search.

20. The Sand

I do... I am in the process of doing that now. Much bigger project than I thought... I am downloading the Windows Automated Installation Kit now - it's fricken HUGE!

Thanks for responding!

Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.