What does the auto-update actually update?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Helm_local, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Hi,

before posting a BSOD related problem I'm trying to solve (that references eamon.sys in 3 minidumps) I feel I should be aware of my ESET product version.

My ESET Smart Security (Home) is showing ver. 3.0.667.0.
    virus sig db is 3853 (auto updates runs well every day).
    update module is 1024

I notice at http://www.eset.co.uk/Support/SoftwareUpdates that v3.0.685.0 is the current product relaese.

1. Does the product version get updated when the auto-update is run?
    2. Is there any 'technical' difference between 3.0.667.0 and the later version(s), or is it simply a language/country roll-out issue?

I have spotted something like "program files updated" on occasions - is this when a later version of ESS is downloaded?

Thanks
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

latest version for uk is 684 http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php i asked some months ago why this hadnt been updated on the official forum, i got no reply. this version fixes a vulnerability in the firewall as well as stability fixes, i would uninstall what you have and install 684.
    auto update just updates modules and signatures for some reason.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello Mike,

ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.685.0 are for Ukranian users only. For everyone else, the latest build for both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus is 3.0.684.0.

If you're having problems with ESS, the first thing that will be recommended to you is to upgrade to the latest build which could solve the problem. (e.g. 3.0.667.0 --> 3.0.684.0)

(1) The product version does not get updated when the auto-update is on because the new builds released by ESET (e.g. 3.0.667.0 --> 3.0.684.0) only fix a few minor problems that only a handful of users are having. For that reason it's not necessary to push that out to everyone; if you're build of ESS is working fine you don't need to upgrade; if it is not functioning correctly then upgrade to the latest version. If there was ever a major problem that did effect most users, ESET would release that as a program component update which you would get like a normal update.

(2) There are differences among the different builds of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0. There are three new releases after the version you have. If you're having problems with your build, I would recommend updating your build. The general changes of the builds released after yours are listed below:

December 18, 2008 - 3.0.684
    • stability and security fixes

August 22, 2008 - 3.0.672
    • Fixed problem causing instability on Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit

• Fixed problem in antispam module causing "Unexpected exception 003 and 007" error messages

July 7, 2008 - 3.0.669
    • Fixed tasks scheduled to be run after a successful update

The complete changelog can be viewed here: http://www.eset.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4113&Itemid=5

I have also enclosed a screenshot, too.

("program files updated") Program files updated means that the virus signature database wasn't updated that update, but other module(s) were updated such as the Cleaner module or Antivirus and antispyware scanner module.

I hope this helps you out! Keep me updated.

Regards,

Mark. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Thanks + Dump file requirements?

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your quick, comprehensive replies.

My PC runs fine so I will leave well alone. However, one of my customer's PCs has intermittent BSODs so I will update their ESS to version 3.0.684.

Q1. If I need to send you .dmp files relating to these BSODs do you prefer the whole dump file or kernel dump file? I read some 'related' posts, dealt with by Marcos, suggesting more than the minidump files.

Q2. Does the kernel dump have the allegeldly 'offending' process named in it (in some cases eamon.sys).

From what I've learnt about de-bugging these files (from internet searches yesterday) the MODULE_NAME and IMAGE_NAME point to the program that 'caused' the error, hence do these get listed in a kernel dump? From Marcos's comments it appears that eamon.sys may show up in the IMAGE_NAME but may not be the culprit!!

Off to look at the PC now, more posts may follow, hopefully not!!!

Thanks again
    Mike

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just to jump in, BSODs, as usual, can be caused by outdated drivers, especially NIC cards when it comes to ESS.

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Re: Thanks + Dump file requirements?

Hello Mike,

I'm not the best when it comes to these sort of things - I'm having Blue Screen problems too (I don't think it has anything to do with NOD32) and am just beginning to learn the specifics. (Emphazising beginning, :p)

It sometimes does, yes. Then just uninstall, update or set the driver to manual depending on what it is. You can use WinDbg (download from Microsoft website) to analyze the dump that is in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump.

Regards,
    Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.