What does it mean when AMD has a FSB that's....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Send_Derek, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Send_Derek

Send_Derek Registered Member

What does it mean when AMD has a FSB that's integrated into chip?

Just a simple question, but I figured I would ask...

2. hadi

hadi Guest

3. Send_Derek

Well, I read through that, but I don't think it helped answer my question. Interesting read though...

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Send_Derek :)

AMD=Advanced Micro Devices, which is a chip manufacturer
    FSB= Frontside Bus

so it means that the chip manufacturer Advanced Micro Device's chip has an integrated Frontside Bus. i think it means you will have a faster data transfer and greater memory capacity

The Frontside and Backside Buses connect to the CPU then all the other components are linked to them. in the past the Frontside Bus ran at a slower speed then the BSB so all the components linked from it will run slower and slower as you go farther down the connections. with the integrated Frontside Bus it means it will be running at the same speed as the main memory so all the other components will run faster too.

this isn't fact, it's just what i think going from what i have learned in the first few weeks of my college course

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The AMD Athlon64 CPU has all the functions of a dedicated NorthBridge right on the CPU. Therefore the FSB is part of the CPU, and its good that way because the HyperTransport technology allows for very low latencies leading to quite high performance.

6. Can I ask a further question then? If the cpu now has the FSB then why do motherboards for the AMD Athlon 64 still advertise having a FSB? Or is the FSB on the motherboard an entirely different thing? Thanks.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think it is probably not a FSB (when intergrated), but does the job of one. it is easier to say it is, then go on to explain how much more powerful the new chip designed with the intergrated FSB is.

so, i'd say, yes the FSB on the motherboard is an entirely different thing :)

i haven't read any AMD Athlon 64 advertising, so sorry if i have misunderstood.

8. Firecat

9. Send_Derek

Well, thanks for the help guys! I was just curious.

What type of RAM would you pair up with an AMD CPU that has the integrated up to 2000Mhz? Would you just go for the quickest stuff you could? Or is there something more to it during the build of a computer?

10. Firecat

Well, getting RAM to run beyond 400MHz memory on AMD Athlon64s is a tough job.

On these CPUs, the RAM Frequency depends on the CPU FSB.

If the FSB is 400MHz, RAM frequency of 400MHz is possible.

FSB=200x2 MHz (dual-pumped 200MHz, therefore it appears to be 200MHz in system info apps)
    RAM at DDR 400MHz = 200x2 (same as CPU).

You'll have to overclock the FSB if you have to raise the RAM speed.

11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

cas latency is not that important for amd chipsets.

but the rule remains: the lower the latency: the faster you go (the more expensive it is though)

12. Firecat

CAS latency is not important for AMD because of the HyperTransport terminal which is able to provide low-latency data transmission across the system.

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

FC, the way I see it: it still has some importance (latency) but it is of less importance then with Intel...

I hope they will begin with supporting for ddr2...that would be awesome for gamers and overclockers...

I read somewhere on some forum that AMD is working on a new core but I cannot remember it anymore which one :) But they said it will be better then Winchester core...
    we'll see cause I am seriously considering purchasing an amd64...no more Intel for me after this one :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.