what do you think of Avira's firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by robinb, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am thinking of getting the Avira Internet Suite for a client of mine(, running xp pro sp3) which has a built in firewall. I was wondering how easy it is to configure, does it work well and also since he has vista on his laptop and uses vista's firewall and is networked will it see the network?

thanks
    robin

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, try it and see for yourself... I personally didn't like it, it doesn't have any initial learning mode so it's noisy like hell for a couple of days at least.

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I did, I am trialing it on one of my test computers running xp pro sp3, before i decide if my client really needs it. Its learning mode seems to quiet down once you click on everything internet related and "allow it".
    I want to see if it remembers after a few days. When i tried commodor and armour both did not remember after a few days and it was a pain to keep checking it off to remember.

robin

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I used the Avira suite, the firewall seemed "ok" generally speaking, in other words, it seemed to do it's job fine, it just wasn't loaded with features and options like some of them are nowadays... it's pretty plain.

On the other hand, I did find that it "forgot" or lost it's rules once in a while, which made it unusable for me. Now this was well over a year ago, so there is a good chance that issue was addressed and fixed. However, be on the watch for that just in case...

5. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am, that is why i am trialing it first before i recommended to him. Since I have the month to trial it I will let you know if it forgets.

I have AVG 8.0 with firewall on one of my other computers and it doesn't forget.
    Since I have been finding Avira lately is grabbing more than AVG I was leaning towards it unless AVG makes some big changes in the future.
    I know they are beta testing now sp2 so you never know.
    robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.