What do you think is the best free Zip utility?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I'd want to compressed some folders to the max...:D so that I can save some space in my HD. ;)

What can you possibly recommend that you've already tested as its free, easy to Zip and unzip and best of all advanced in compressing to the maximum any files or folders. :cool:

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Izarc

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Which of those you recommended (anyone), can un archive multiple archives at once in the background (I hate winzips inability to do that). I want good zipping ability, good rar extraction and a good gui :). (Sorry for the minor hijack).

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was a longtime user of IZArc. But then I upgraded to IZArc's latest version. It wouldn't unzip archives made by the previuos version.

I didn't want to use 7zip. Even though 7zip is the format I use most vs. zip. Because trying previous version the GUI was terrible.

But then I downloaded the latest final version of 7zip, v4.32. It's perfect. The GUI is straightened out & the simplest of its kind. I can't imagine switching to another. 7zip:thumb:

8. sweater

Attached Files:

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Many people like the free ZipGenius. I've used it in the past and it's quite a nice program. 7-Zip is also a very nice free alternative, like other members already pointed out.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If the archive gets damaged, then all your zipped files are screwed.
    I would not recommend this.
    I know you have a space problem, and getting more space would be the best choice, but if you cannot, then burn the data to cds / dvds (multiple backups). You'll have the data instantly available - you won't need to waste time decompressing and them compressing again if you need access to them - defragging your hdd more and more with each zip / unzip action - and you'll have a good backup redundancy.
    Mrk

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In my opinion, after years of problem-free use, *the best free ZIP utility* has the odd name of ICEOWS.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7-zip

14. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

sweater~ nothing wrong with that processor, but you really should increase memory to 512mb (ram is so cheap, there is no reason not to) - it will make a huge difference with just about everything you do (and the same observation applies to getting a larger hard drive)! ~pv

15. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi sweater,

Ask yourself, how frequently are you going to compress 400MB? Nothing to be scared of if you don't do it very often if at all or never plan to.

7zip in my book is the best, because it achieves the best compression, handles most formats, and is free!

-- Tom

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I regularly zip around 40 mb, if I NEEDED to compress 400mb I would be long over due another hdd.

Im currently working on a 3.7 gig database and Im struggling to find space to backup locally, but compressing take unfeasably too long (and resources), quicker to copy across the network to the file server :p

17. sweater

One more thing...:rolleyes: :cautious: ....is it okay to use two Zip utility programs? o_O :rolleyes: Coz I'm planning to installs KGB Archiver and 7-Zip..:cautious:

I have already installled the KGB archiver and tried it..wow..it's simplicity is brilliant...:eek: though.. I just don't use the options that warns me it'll used up at least 75% of my ram coz I am afraid that it can crashed my system...but I am glad.. it has several options to choose from when compressing files. :D :blink: Still, I am wondering why is it that the developer called it KGB? :blink:

18. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:D IZArc has always performed well for me.

HR :cool:

19. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

It's normally not recommended to have two zip programs installed, because some could cause a conflict with the other.
    They also need to be associated to the files you'll want to zip/unzip.
    I do however have Stuffit Deluxe installed too, but only associated to MAC sit-files.
    In short, do it at your own risk. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.