What do you put on your flash drive?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Lollan, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I've recently purchased a Lexar Lightning 1GB model and have started filling it up with my diagnostics and cleanup tools, but I was wondering if anyone put something "cooler" on theirs? ie: bootable diagnostic tools, OS, etc.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I never found the flash drives very useful - not enough storage space.

In my photography work I've used for a long time a VOSONIC X-Drive II battery-operated HD which has software for copying from most camera cards - for use when out in the boonies for a week at a time.

But you can also use it as another USB drive - just connect as you would a flash drive.

It holds a mobile 2.5" HD and you can get from 20 - 80GB. So I have all of my diagnostic utilities plus all of my photography stuff on it. It's small enough to fit into a coat pocket or valise, and it's my way of taking files/utilities to another place.

---

3. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Well, unless I want to have the option to install every version of Windows when I have easy access to a jacket full of install cds, 1GB is plenty for me. :)

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I put a lot of floppys on one of mine since my laptop does not have a floppy drive. I have subsequently bought a USB external floppy.

I also put backups from ERUNT on the flash drive that I carry with my laptop.

In fact, flash drives are expensive storage, and it seems to me that their best use is to carry some particular information for meetings, or travel.

Jerry

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Portable firefox and portable thunderbird are pretty sweet apps to have on a thumb drive. I also put all of my programming projects on their to transfer between workstations. You could get DamnSmall Linux on a thumb drive(yes, its a real distro :D )

Alphalutra1

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Depends - do you wanna use it or do you want it as 'cold' storage?
    If 1 - then:
    Make it a bootable Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.
    Or
    Bootable to DOS (for emergency operations...?), plus DOS AV, and additionally Windows utilities - portable Firefox, Thunderbird, Abiword / Open Office, a small security package with your most important tools.
    Or
    Puppy Linux (multisession).
    If 2 - then:
    Just load with your data (encrypt in case you lose it...).

Mrk

7. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I use my flash drive every day to back up files on my laptop. It saved my hide two weeks ago when the laptop died.

I also find the flash drive about the only practical way to turn in work to one client (government minions, worried that email will make them obsolete).

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I warmly suggest burning cd / dvds too.
    Flash drives have limited lives.
    Mrk

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the files on my flash drive consist of:

portable firefox
    a few flash games

sometimes i also use it to bring my essays to school and print it.

10. securityx

securityx Registered Member

On my 1GB drive:

Truecrypt (complete with a 500MB encrypted volume)
    Portable Firefox
    Portable Opera
    Faststone Viewer
    Portable Roboform
    Media Player Classic
    Restoration
    Golden Section Notes
    Local html copy of my Start Page
    Stinger
    Putty
    Damn Small Linux
    TorPark (A portable TOR) http://www.freehaven.net/~arrakis/torpark.html

Random thoughts:

- Stick with name brand flash drives. There's a lot of cheap junk.

- Flash prices are plummeting. 1GB drives are now to be found on sale for $50...2GB for $100 (edit: Sunday morning ads have them for $79)...The 4GB are just now hitting retail store shelves at $200. However, Sandisk says to expect 8GB flash drives by the holidays at about the $100 mark. You might want to wait - or pick up an inexpensive 500MB drive to play with and learn about portable apps.

- The smaller the better, especially if used with laptops. The Sandisk MICRO versions are perfect. The MINI versions are okay, but stick out a bit too far for me. Sony's MICRO-VAULTS are another good bet.

- Yes, you can boot Windows XP from a flash drive. See this excellent article.

- For general USB thumbrive applications, see this excellent collection of links to sites that catalog portable applications.

Soon, we'll keep our computers in our pockets on flash drives. Just plug them in any PC and we'll have our own environments, applications, etc. all safe and encrypted if we so desire.

------securityx---------

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

securityx,
    Thanks for that link to all the USB portable apps. TorPark looks great!

12. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I would if the laptop had such a device - it is rather old. My present solution is to promptly transfer work to the office computer using the flashdrive, then CD's for finished material.

13. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Limited as in one million read/write cycles, and about ten years.

------securityx------

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Securityx, good drives have a long life. But cheap drives can last considerably less. Nevertheless, it does not hurt to have copies of your important things on disk that cost less than 1$ apiece.
    Losing a usb key - or getting it stolen - is much simpler than a static backup copy on a dvd you keep somewhere in your flat.
    No disrespect toward usb keys, though.
    Mrk

15. dgho

dgho Registered Member

I am trying to install torpark but it seems that it will try to install a driver/service according to PG. Does it safe to allow it?

How about the speed?

Thanks.

16. squash

squash Registered Member

Backups. Backups. Backups. on an encrypted Volume with TrueCrypt
    then...
    Portable Firefox

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.