What do you guys think of this setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by delerious, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delerious

delerious Registered Member

Is it possible to have a good security setup with just free programs? Here's what I'm running:

CHX packet filter
    AntiVir (real-time)
    AVG Anti-Virus (on-demand)
    Spyware Terminator (real-time)
    SuperAntiSpyware (on-demand)
    Firefox

I'll also do some scans with some online scanners like BitDefender, ewido, and a-squared.

I'd like to try to keep the memory usage low and not have too many things installed, but is there anything else you guys think I might need?

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah looks like a nice simple setup, you've got all the basic areas covered and its all free so thats a definite winner!

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A router.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Get rid of AVG antivirus on-demand. Instead, replace it with an online scanner like KAV's online scanner for a second opinion. However, if it is avg-antispyware, then you can keep it.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. delerious

delerious Registered Member

It's not worth having AVG antivirus for on-demand scanning?

I thought about installing AVG antispyware, but isn't it pretty much the same as ewido? I figured I could just run the ewido online scan, instead of having to install something.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Ewido has been purchased by Grisoft, and is now called AVG antispyware 7.5.
    Very good trojan detection, so I''ve heard, Others may be better at spyware.
    It seems to me that you don't need AVG antivirus when using Avira, reports indicate Avira has much better detection rates currently, and also catches a lot of trojans. You might want to consider having AVG av configured to scan your email program in realtime, since Avira (free) doesn't do that. (I've tried a somewhat similar config, though, and the warning dialogues got to me, so I went back to using Avast for everything)
    You might want to immunise things with Spybot S&D "bad blocker", and Javacool's SpywareBlaster. They don't use much RAM.
    I'm also using Spyware Terminator, and like it a lot. No hint of spyware, as some would believe from the parent company's shady past dealings.
    I sometimes run TrendMicro's housecall, (once found something called Cimuz, and TSpy) and Kaspersky's online scan, (not found anything.)
    Not an expert. More advanced beginner.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would definitely add Spyware Blaster.
    If you want an "on demand" or backup av scanner replace AVG with Bit Defender's free scanner.

9. toasale

toasale Registered Member

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You could try something like system safety monitor or ghost security suite, they have free versions which will increase your pc's security

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

From a less than expert user, I think you are WELL protected. I know we can keep layering and layering, but I am not so sure it becomes counterproductive.

Some applications that are sometimes said to be necessary, are not used by many I notice. My own logic says that if one were so great, then the world would be beating a path to the door. That does not seem to be happening. I do not want to name an application as it would cause "HEY, what do you know?"

My own set ups on my two machines are, in my opinion as bullet proof as I need.
    PC - Active KAV6, LnS, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, SpywareGuard, AVG 7.5 AS, Snoopfree, UnHackMe, Spyware Blaster, and Win Patrol. On DEmand - A-squared free, and Bit Defender Rootkit Uncover. Also behind a NAT.

That is a lot and I would not want to add anything. I think I could remove SG, and Spyware Blaster without reduction of security.

On my laptop I have Active - F-Secure AV, Kerio 2.1.5, UnHackMe, AVG 7.5 AS, Win Patrol, and SuperAntiSpyware Pro.
    On Demand Rootkit Uncover (BD), and a-squared AS.

When I consider virtually everyone I know uses AVG free, and the Windows firewall and maybe Defender, and none have problems with infections I think some of us are a little paranoid. I think we like to do this for its own sake, while my friends just want to use the computer and not worry about much else. They need simplicity and a reasonable degree of protection as safe users.

They are safe users, and I realize that most of us here like to try and learn. I guess that is my case, and in a greater sense, Lodore and Tjram also.:D
    I have little expertise, but have learned some things.

I'm glad there are so many folks that do have expertise here, and the rest of us can learn a BUNCH from them. Keep it up.

Back to the question, Yes you are very secure.

Regards,
    Jerfry

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its too much, and NOT needed.... paranoid or something?

"On my laptop I have Active - F-Secure AV, Kerio 2.1.5, UnHackMe, AVG 7.5 AS, Win Patrol, and SuperAntiSpyware Pro.
    On Demand Rootkit Uncover (BD), and a-squared AS."

well, if you are a legitimate licence holder, you must have alot of money for all those stand-a-lone software licences, as all those are included in a numerous suites on the market, which perform better in my opinion and is cheaper as its in one package, also... its just one installation, one folder on your pc and only one program to update.

i cant, at all ... recommend your setup, too much junk for your laptop, too expensive, too many settings (adding up all the programs here), too hard to maintain, and would be, personally... a waste of my time.

but hey, just my opinion :isay:

13. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Look at my set up below I did not pay for a single program except RollBackRx.........just some advice, rootkit scanners you should have some handy, also Prevx or System Safety Monitor, my personal favorite is Ghost Security Suite, reason is I have never been breeched unless I allowed it to execute, GSS flagged every real life situation I could expose it too through my unsafe surfing and downloading of and installation(S) of unknown software and programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.