What do startup apps in ATI Home 2009 build 9646 do?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wchull, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchull

wchull Registered Member

Can anyone provide me with details regarding the function of TrueImageMonitor and TimounterMonitor in True Image Home 2009 build 9646?

My system is pretty tight on resources and since I only make periodic backups as needed I would like to turn one or both of these two apps off in my startup. Can either or both be turned off or are they vital to the running of the app?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I do believe that they are only needed if you want to do automatic scheduled backups. There should also be a third item that is in the Startup.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm under the impression that TI schedules the manual backups as well.

5. wchull

wchull Registered Member

There is a 3rd item called schedhlp that I missed. In addition to the resources issue is the "chatter" that occurs from my floppy drive everytime one/all of the apps starts. Not sure why this is but it is frustrating. Getting rid of this issue would help out a lot.

6. wchull

wchull Registered Member

After reading the above posts and links I went back and turned off the TrueImageMonitor and TimounterMonitor apps in my startup but left the schedhlp app running. From what I can see so far turning these two apps off using MSConfig doesn't hurt ATI's ability to backup my system but it does get rid of the chatter of my floppy drive on startup. Does anyone know what Schedhlp does and whether it too can be turned off and still allow backups to occur? Someone mentioned that Schedhlp was needed to acturally perform a manual backup but I have not confirmed this myself. Any info would be helpful.

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Another option is to do all your manual Backups and Restores using the bootable True Image Rescue CD. Naturally the Backup process is a little slower this way but if this doesn't matter to you then you can eliminate having the software installed.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

TimounterMonitor - only required if you want to be able to mount your image as a drive for later inspection, single file copying etc.

Sched2 - is (a service) required to make manual backups/images - do not disable.

Schedhlp - This is required for imaging if you require scheduled tasks to run at log on or log off of your Windows System or you have installed TI for single user only - manual tasks will run if this is disabled, unless as stated above you have installed TI as a single user, then it will schedule itself to a default time of 12:00:00 AM and may or may not run at midnight depending on anything else Windows may be doing if you've actually left your computer on.

TrueImageMonitor -This is just the little progress screen and system tray utility that runs or becomes available when TI is running.

As stated in a post many moons ago - the list of programs in TaskManager are used as an index for most programs, they link to an internal memory address that only starts using resources once started. This is like me producing a catalogue for an art exhibition, the catalogue does indeed take up some space/resources, but no where near the amount the actual exhibition requires.

If you look at TaskManager you will see that under CPU time, nothing is used until you actually start TI. It does reserve 11MB of RAM for all 3 processes - this rises to about 15MB once the program is running - this is a paltry amount of RAM to be used on today's machines.

When you boot up, TI processes do check for attached drives (hence your floppy chatter), this allows TI to run a scheduled task without actually opening the main GUI, although a slight programming annoyance here is that even with the processes running, if one manually opens TI it actually has to check for drives present once again.

Hope that helps.

Colin

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Another cause of floppy disk drive chatter on start up can be an anti-virus progam or such scanning the drive.

As I hardly ever use a floppy drive these days I have disabled it in the BIOS. Start ups are now serene, quiet and maybe a second or so faster.
    I leave the TI start ups alone because my backups run to a schedule when the computer is unattended. I do not want to have to remember to turn them back on.
    The resources taken up by them are very small in any case. It would be interesting if someone actually did some tests to measure performance differences with TI's bits on and off. I think a good stopwatch would be needed.

Xpilot

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wchull,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

TrueImageMonitor.exe - Acronis True Image Monitor. This program provides the interface between running Acronis True Image tasks and the user. It allows to observe the tasks progress and cancel the running tasks. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. This program is not required by Acronis True Image to perform its tasks, and can be terminated if you think it occupies too much memory, but you will loose the ability to control running Acronis True Image tasks.

The special TimounterMonitor.exe process monitors the mounted images and constantly checks if there is enough space on the storage to save all the changes made to the sectors of the mounted image.

Schedhlp is executed as a separate process for any logon, works till logoff and notifies Scheduler service about logon and logoff events.

All Acronis resident modules uses very little amount of physical memory in normal state (when no imaging or other task is performed) since operating system swaps them off to the swap file on the hard disk. Disabling of these services with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home installed may cause some issues with the correct working of the program and of the system.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

11. Volkmar

Volkmar Registered Member

I can see the sched2.exe sitting in its directory, however I can't find it in the list of applications started at boot-up. The other three apps I do see there.

I'm using ATI Home 2009, build 9646.
    The file is missing in the starup list on both of my PCs.
    Has something changed with ATI 2009?

Volkmar

PS. Ok, it appears in the list of services so it is started but does not show up in the list of apps started at boot up time. Seems to be normal behaviour.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Volkmar,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Actually the process should be schedul2.exe file. Please check your task manager once again.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.