What do I need to go wireless?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jlo, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi All,

Just wondered if I could get a bit of tech advice?

At the moment I am running to desktop computers (one work one home) though a Wired Vigor 2600ADSL Router. It has 4 R45 slots so at the moment 2 are used.

Here is my question.

I am planning to get a lap top as well with WiFI built in. Can I buy something that will plug in to one of the spare R45 slots on my existing wired router that will make it wireless for the laptop? or do I need a new router?

If I need a new router my Work computer runs though a VPN and I don't want to mess up my Comapany Router/Computer Connection. IT dept will not be pleased with me. Will changing the router have any affect on my VPN?

Any advice much appreciated?

Kind Regards

Jlo

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Hi,

Just a minor correction. The correct term for the ports on the router and your computer is RJ-45.

You can get a wireless access point. Linksys makes some. Just plug the access point into your DSL modem, and you are good to go.

The wireless access point will not be a problem for your VPN.

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Many thanks for the info!

that was exactly what I was looking for.

Kind Regards

Jlo

4. Close_Hauled

I would have given you a model of an access point to use, but I do not know if your laptop has 802.11a,b, or g. You would be best to get one that covers all, like the Linksys WAP55AG.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You can also use a wireless router with the DHCP server disabled so that it is functionally equivalent to an access point - that's basically how I use my Linksys WRT54GS. The main advantages of going with something like the Linksys WRT54GS is access to 3rd party firmware and with some of the added features. In the recent past the router was actually cheaper, despite the greater feature set, but I believe that is no longer the case. I'd recommend a "b/g" setup in any event. I had an 802.11a setup and I think feel that it isn't worth the price premium and somewhat more limited range these days. The only remaining advantage of an 802.11a setup is less interference, but at the end of the day I haven't noticed any throughput differences since I converted to 802.11g.

Blue

6. Close_Hauled

I was trying to keep it simple for the non-technical.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I thought I was too :)

Oh well....

Blue

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And whatever you choose, pick a WPA compliant router/access point, this way your privacy is not compromised (WPA and even better WPA2 are secure protocols, Windows XP will handle the client side).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.