What distro? Panasonic Toughbook CF-Y4 1.60GHz 512MB

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Panasonic Toughbook CF-Y4 Centrino 1.60GHz 512MB 60GB CDRW/DVD ROM

These 2x are circa 2006-7 & should be in my hands in a week. Looking for low requirement distros. I'd consider Puppy but everytime I try to install it (other PCs) it keeps giving me choices: keep, encrypt etc. So I think thats out.

Ideally distro should have LTS, beginner to intermediate in difficulty, surf the net easily, word processing, emails, watch DVDs.

I'm doubting this hardware could stream anything but I don't know.

At a minimum ability to surf, email & basic word processing. And beginner to intermediate in difficulty.

I guess I'm looking for a distro(s) that'll work easily, not struggle with these low specs & maybe even fly. :D

Thanks good people of Wilders.

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

What's wrong with that? o_O I don't understand what you mean. If there's already another OS, Linux will ask whether you want to keep it or not. You don't need to encrypt your partition if you don't want to. That's so great about choices. :D

I am not an expert but I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition on two systems very similar to yours. They both work very fine, much better than windows.

I have the feeling that Crunchbang works even faster. It should work fine on your systems. Maybe you want to check out one of these distros.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

+1 for CrunchBang. You could also consider Xubuntu or Lubuntu LTS.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok so far I've dl & burned Bodhi & LXLE. Downloading Crunchbang now. Thanks I'll keep on stacking up runners. Got around 7-14 days to go till delivery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.