What did I do wrong when I did my Acronis 10 backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lida1111, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lida1111

lida1111 Registered Member

Hi this has been the week from hell. On Monday night, I decided to defrag my main computer. When I got up in the morning, at the bottom right of the screen there was in a yellow notation something about windows unable to find something. In the middle of the screen, it showed that the defrag was successful. I clicked to finish it and my screen went blue with a listing of different things, I didn't really pay attention to that. what was on the bottom was disc error, use control, alt, delete to restart the system. I did that and the same screen came up, I continued to do that a few times with the same outcome. I then manually turned off the computer at the back, waited some time and turned it back on, same thing. I turned it off, walked out of the room, came back to turn it on and fried the on off switch, sparks came out. I must have picked up some static. I know this sounds pretty funny.

I unplug all the things connected to the computer and take it to the shop. The computer tech stated that the hard drive has some major issues and should be replaced. Ok, so I tell him I made a Mirror image/backup copy of the hard drive a week ago, so could he change the on off switch and put in a new hard drive and use my external hard to restore everything to how it was. I gave him my aconis boot disc, my external hard drive and a copy of the instructions on how to do it and my windows disc should he need it.

Well I don't think he is familiar with the acronis program, he said he had to reinstall windows and there was a lot of the stuff (drivers? English is not his first language) missing and he is trying to restore it fully?? That when I did a backup copy I did not do an image, that all my files are there but that's it. I don't know what he is talking about, I didn't really understand him.

This place is a good computer store and I have bought several computers from them and am very happy with their service.

Do you know what he is talking about? I thought that I did do an image?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Perhaps my guides listed below can provide some info.

3. lida1111

Thanks for your quick response.

I just read through the manual that you suggested my help me "the begininers" and I did everything that it said. All the pictures in the manual look exactly like shown. Maybe when I get my computer back with the external hard drive, I will take a shot of what I copied and post it and then maybe I will find out what I did wrong.

4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Registered Member

Most repair shops nowadays will do whatever is fastest and most familiar. Few will go to the trouble of doing something out of the ordinary. That sounds like what happened in your case. After all, Acronis isn't really that difficult; certainly not difficult for a techie in a repair shop.

Over the years, I've had a number of people come to me asking for the same thing, after being told by a repair shop that recovery wasn't possible.

With all of that being said, hopefully you can do the restore from the other drive once you get the unit back home.

Good luck with the outcome.

5. lida1111

Well, I'm back. The computer tech stated that my last backup was corrupted. Is that possible? Should I try it or take his word for it?

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

lida1111
    Try validating the backup when booted from the Restore CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.