What could I disable on Avast 5?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cherub, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Since installing the paid version of Avast, my computer has slowed down quite a bit(mainly when downloading and trying to do other things while the file is downloaded) . When downloading a file, my cursor will "stick" and then jump to where I was moving it. It's not that it moves on its own, it just seems to be stuck and then jumps to the position I wanted it to go. I'm assuming it's because I'm downloading a file since it doesn't do it any other time.

The only reason I suspect Avast is because it wasn't doing it before I installed it.The only other change was installation of the new Malwarebytes program.

I've got a bunch of programs running and thought I would ask if some were overlap and might be causing some trouble. I've got Prevx and Malwarebytes running real time along with Outpost Firewall. You can see what other programs I have running in my sig.

With running those, are there shields on Avast that I could disable at no security risk to my computer?

Don't know if it would make a difference but I did have Avira 10 and uninstalled it(before I switched to Avast - I wasn't running both at the same time or anything). I ran CCleaner afterwards and hoped that I had deleted all traces.

Any suggestions or other things I could do would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Might be Malwarebytes IP protection. If you are running Pro version (real time).

Try disabling Webshield first.

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I install avast! with the following mods -
    1. install only file, web and network shield.
    2. increase sensitivity of file and web shields to high.
    3. turn on PUP detection in file and web shield.
    4. turn on PUP detection in all predefined scan profiles.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I'd start with the MBAM thing, as said above; has been causing nothing but incredible latency issues here.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It certainly shouldn't be on account of Outpost, and PrevX is highly compatible as well. I've run it with several real-time AV's in the past without issue.

I can see MB real-time protection causing conflicts with AV's though. I'd say it's a distinct possibility. I think you'd be better off disabling it instead of Avasts shields though, and just use MB on demand... if you find that it is indeed the problem.

JMO

6. Zekeblue

Zekeblue Registered Member

I installed AvastPro 5 trial and found it slowed down surfing. I uninstalled and installed Avast 5 Free and things were speedy again. I don't know what additional feature in the Pro version is responsible. This is on Win7 64bit.

7. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'll disable MBAM first and see how that works. Then move on to Avast if still doing it.

I'm at work now, but will try tonight.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, that's what I managed to find on Avast forums - a comment from the chief Avast developer:

Reference post and entire thread.

HTH.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

id install the behavior shield as well, because at the very least it doesnt hurt, at least on my system, and it culd eventually have a potential use.

10. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I turned off malwarebytes and it seems to have done the trick. Every now and then it seems scrolling is a little choppy, but the slowdown I was having is gone.

Next question, with my setup, am I really losing anything by disabling Malwarebytes IP protection or should I be covered adequately with what I have.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

What you have looks pretty sufficient to me. Are you behind a NAT router? Highly recommended. Also what browser do you use? If you use IE some tweaking my be in order. Google how to start it in private browsing mode. If you use Firefox I recommend addons: NoScript, Adblock Plus, Ghostery, T.A.C.O, BetterPrivacy, WOT, Optimize Google.

Throw in Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D for some immunization while you're at it.

12. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

My router is a D-Link DGL-4100, and the best I can tell it's NAT is on. I'm quite a novice on those things but I'm reasonably sure I have it set to on.

I usually use Firefox for a browser and have NoScript,Adblock Plus,Ghostery and WOT. I'm going to add Optimize Google, per your suggestion. The only problem I have with BetterPrivacy is in reading the FAQ on the extension page, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what I'm doing. For T.A.C.O., I can't seem to find it. I hate sounding dumb, but I have no idea what that is.

Also, one last question, from reading the Spyware Blaster site, I just download the program and that's it? No tweaking needed? If so, I'll add that to my setup too. The problem I have is, like I mentioned, very green when it comes to the "guts" of how these programs work. I'm learning some from this site but I've still got a long way to go. lol

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

14. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

Since you asked...start with disabling avast 5. A good start for sure.
    :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.