What could cause this?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Something very odd occurred on my lap-top (running XP) today and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happened. I was working away and everything appeared normal but when I went to save the file all the listings in the save dialogue box (the old files that is) were listed in reverse order (X was first, A was last). I checked and this was the case for all of the apps I looked at. A simple roll-back (RollBack Rx) resolved the problem but I am curious as to what could have caused this.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. bgoodman4

Thanks stapp, its good to know (but to be expected I guess) that others have had this problem before me. As noted in my OP I resolved the problem using RollBack Rx so it was not so much a solution I was looking for but a cause. I guess I should just put it down to one of those things that happen to PCs every so often, no reason, it just happens.

That being said I do appreciate the time and effort you put into locating the above link.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

What program were you using when you attempted to save the file?

If I am working in Microsoft Office, and do a "save as" or a "save" for a previously unsaved file, I get a dialog box with file names and I can sort those file names by clicking on the tab at the top of the box - alpha by name, or date last saved etc.

Maybe you clicked on a heading in the dialog box? Also, if you keep clicking on same tab, you will toggle between ascending and descending order.

5. bgoodman4

Interesting, based on your post I changed the view to details, then clicked on the name column, then went back to the details view and the names were reversed. Repeated the sequence and the names were back the way they are supposed to be. I cannot imagine what happened because I have never changed the view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.