What could be throtteling speeds thru an ASUS RT-N12 D1?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

A little back round! When my providers plan was 50Mbps I always tested over 60 on numerous servers. They then doubled it to 100Mbps but I never bothered to test. They recently increased it to 200Mbps for four free months and I can't even hit 60Mbps on their servers. I only wirelessly boot a laptop every week or so to keep security up to date and I get the same low speeds with the two cell phones off. The only thing connected to the router is one printer, which is always off if not being used and this PC via cat6 cable. So I just hooked up from the modem directly to the PC and I'm getting over 220Mbps, testing everywhere. Thank you for your help!

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Did you try upgrading the firmware in your router?

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Are you saying when you connect your PC to your router via Ethernet, you still cannot get 60Mbps out to the Internet?

Did you swap Ethernet cables (between PC and router and also between router and modem)? Ethernet cables are simple, low-tech but very critical network devices that are not very robust. They cannot take much physical abuse and can easily be damaged with a single yank or trip over - assuming they were properly made in the first place. They often are poorly made - this is why I have been making my own for years.

I would also connect your PC to a different Ethernet port on the router. They can go bad too.

4. ratchet

Trooper and B_B, thank you for the replies. I do check the router and ASUS for firmware updates often but had not given a thought about a bad cable or port! Will give it a whirl tonight!

5. Bill_Bright

Flaky cables can be very frustrating because they are not always an obvious suspect. When they totally block network connection, they do come to mind when troubleshooting. But they often don't when network performance is simply degraded or when connectivity is intermittent. I always take spare cables with me on trouble calls.

And I personally have had two routers over the years develop a bad port, and have encountered several others on house calls. There has never been an apparent cause, but I suspect some power anomaly in a few of those cases. And computer network adapters can go bad too. So trying a different computer on the same port can be informative too.

6. ratchet

I changed cables and ports but no joy! Soooo, a few weeks ago (I don't recall whether it was Black Friday or whatever!) Amazon had the PHICOMM K3C, AC1900, Smart Wi-Fi Router on sale for $15. I believe it said they retailed for $150. Although I never heard of the company ( Shanghi), the reviews were good and the illustration had "INTEL Innovation" on the side of the router. Plus, I figured if they are junk I'm only on the hook for 15 bucks! Well lo and behold it is awesome. The reviews all mentioned how painless setup was and indeed it was and I'm getting 220+ Mbps at several test sites. I know I won't get that wireless but I'm going to test the laptop. I really like ASUS products and on paper an N router should have handled the 200. I don't think it was anything I did. I guess the real bottom line is I really can't tell the difference just browsing but it's psychological if you know what I mean. :) Thanx again!

7. Bill_Bright

I am glad your new router sorted things out. I Have never heard of Phicomm either, but router technology is not really anything proprietary. In fact, it must comply with industry network standards or it would not work. I would just make sure you have changed all the default passwords and passphrases to something strong and unique (but I would recommend that regardless the brand).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.