What controls the speed of copy / update snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by screamer, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

The reason I ask this is because my box has been running real slow lately and I'd like to know what's taking place to cause this slow-down. I thought if I knew what controlled copy / update. (This would normally take ~3mins, all things being considered... Now it's at 1hr. 10min's.) I would have a place to start lookin'.

Just re-installed windows, new HDD & new MB. Can't figure this one out w/o some help.

...screamer

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

generally hardware i.e. processor,disk velocity,bus i/o etc. but also the quantity of changes it has to write,writing to second internal disk is much faster then to an external USB drive.

1 hr and 10 min. Wow there is something very bad going on ! Throughput is normally between 23 and 28 Mb/sec. with a modern laptop. My workstation get over 70 Mb/sec on average.

is your connection USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ? Maybe you connect it by accident to USB 1.1 ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

How many times have you updated the archive?

Panagiotis

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

What space taken up on the "C"/System drive drive?
    System restore on or off ??
    Any other images being updated on that drive and subsequently copied?

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you use Sandboxie etc, is the sandbox empty?

6. screamer

@ Huupi: Throughput is normally between 23 and 28 Mb/sec

yeah, my highest was ~400KBs Actual time worked out to be ~1hr for a 17.5GB SS. Again, normally these copy / updates take less than 2min. I have my Main Drive E: (1TB Seagate Barracuda) This was a SS on that drive, not an archive on a different HDD.

@pandlouk: How many times have you updated the archive?

I don't see what this has to do w/ anything, but if you're suggesting SS age, it shouldn't be an issue. The HDD is ~ 1mo old. It's a regularly sched SS on Tues., Thurs., & Sat. That happened to go fine.
    I was copy / updating my Primary SS from this because I screwed something up in my Primary. This was clean & fresh, since just being updated from previously pristine Primary SS just 4hrs prior. i.e. before I woke up and started messin' w/ the box.

@Longboard: What space taken up on the "C"/System drive drive?

96.4GB Used / 836GB Free | "E"/System drive

System restore on or off ??

SysRestore is on w/ a 2% reserve & 2% Max DiskPercent.

Any other images being updated on that drive and subsequently copied?

I have a total of 5 SS on "E" Drive: 1)Copy of Pri. SS <-- Clean Install, 2) Pri SS, 3) Secondary SS, 4) SS 020109 <-- SS that gets auto updated three x a week & a 5) Test SS. I also have an archive on a different HDD.

I'm now in the process of doing some maintenance: Tune Up Utilities Disk Cleaner & Disk Doctor. Ran SFC scannow, chkdsk, JV-16 PT: Registry Cleaner, File Cleaner, System Optimizer for some tweaks. Also gave it a once over w/ Ccleaner. Checked all my drivers and only 4 can handle up-dates, sound & video cards.

If this doesn't work, I'm gonna buy a gun. Shoot the computer, not myself hehe. No seriously, if anyone has a clue as to what can be slowing this box down, I'm all ears. I'll post back after my maintenance routine is completed.

...screamer

7. screamer

Nah, no Sandbox on this machine. Only security used is in my sig. Not even a firewall, just two routers. I'm only using firewalls on my laptops these days.

...screamer

8. screamer

Auto Copy / Update just finished "on schedule" and took 57sec's. Box is a "Speed Demon" again. I just need to fix a few reg items I lost running the maintenance.

...screamer

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Screamer

Note, if you are updating an archive, the time will indeed go up with time. What goes up in time is the finalizing. When that stage gets to the point of being two minutes, I do a new archive.

The other thing I saw that ground FDISR to a halt was Faronic's Auto Executible.

Pete

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I believe that most folks would recommend that System Restore be turned OFF if you are using FDISR.

Acadia

11. Peter2150

Absolutely.

12. screamer

Well that's subjective. I spent so much time going back-n-forth w/ Susie @ Raxco and a few of the techs. The impression I got was, it's not mandatory and it won't hurt performance. It's suggested, but not written in stone. Besides, I normally -do have SysRestore off. But since I'm still in the process of setting this box up, I'm trying a few new things, settings, apps.

I was just turned on to an app by MarkyMoo. It's called Transfz. It'sa search engine portal and ClipBoard manager in one. Once I get it working well, I think it's gonna be a keeper.

...screamer

13. screamer

Hey Pete, Hope all's well on your end.

Maybe that's what pandlouk meant when he asked about how many times I up-dated. But this is not an Archive, it'sa SS. I do agree though, regardless, fragmentation, bloat, excessive time..., whether an Archive or a SS. And yes, it is certainly in the Finalize process. I keep a long term archive, not being up-dated at all w/ a Clean SS. Then I have different SS w/ varying up-date schedules. Normally the 3 x a week SS lasts ~1-2mo. maybe 3. Then it's replaced. The SS I'm referring to isn't really old enough to be in as bad a shape as it appeared. It's just the last two weeks or so that everything started slowing down. I got this solved though. I had to reset the writer states of all the VSS-aware applications. Then there were a few files missing that needed to be replaced & re-registered.

As you know ShadowProtect uses VSS also. This was also slow. ShadowProtect looks for the VSS in several locations. It successfully accessed the API from STC provider.

Here's what I had prior to my maintenance routine.

26-Feb-2009 01:00:00 service 302 Cannot take snapshot. Error: VSS provider bad state. Method: VSS API by STC provider. Volumes count: 1.

26-Feb-2009 01:00:00 service 301 Try snapshot without writers

26-Feb-2009 01:00:00 service 150 retrieving snapshot name.

26-Feb-2009 01:00:04 service 103 snapshot was created by VSS API by STC provider. It took 4 seconds <--- That's a long time.

26-Feb-2009 01:00:04 service 104 image will be created by VDIFF

...screamer

14. Peter2150

Strange. I've got FDISR and SP both using VSS on two boxes with no issues.

Pete

15. screamer

Never had issues until last week, Very strange indeed.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.