what characterics makes Suites-Sweet?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I finally bought a new laptop & since I had so much trouble with ESET & it's firewall, I decided to use my Kaspersky license & tho I like Kaspersky it just didn't work well on the hp I used. Well I bought a Toshiba & kaspersky runs great no crashing & rebooting & I'm starting to appreiciated what a great firewall it has & it prompts correctly & asks about installing of certain programs. ESET did none of this. My point of the thread is NOT detection but the combination of factors that takes an av adds quality features-firewall, spyware, antispam & makes it better as a suite...

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

"A good development team"

3. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

The bad side of it is you lose the overlap that "roll your own" separate items provide (i.e. if it bypasses one security tool, another might catch it, etc.). You also lose the Best of Breed aspects, as you can run the "best" of everything.

The good side - You have less risk of issues with compatibility; Rather than one suite and how it works with your pc, you have 3, 4, 5 security products and how they work with your PC, nevermind with each other. It often takes more time to get everything the way you want it. Also you most likely will take a performance hit for those overlaps. The other item if you're not an enthusiast is you'll be running upgrades and testing compatibility again more often (suites will have their one release a year or so).

IMHO, roll your own has more security but more work. Suites give up some layered protection for greater setup and ease of use.

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Not necessarily, some suites like the one I use in my sig works hand in hand. HIPS catches threat reports allows me to select the next course of action within 15 seconds otherwise it has orders to deal with the threat, then if it really bad the other defenses kick in. Rising Threat Lab team very good to fix issues or patch the suite quick with daily updates. Viruses are clean without my input, clean the file if can't move it if can't move it remove it. Rising PC doctor takes over for OS patches or holes fills in the gaps.

Everyone here going to have their favorite suite. I wasn't a fan of suites prior but this one works so good It's on everything system I got from server OS down to client OS from wired to wireless and is uses less system resources. Daily Malware scans on it's own without me telling it to do so.. That's how everything should be.

5. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

KIS2010 has a bowser sandbox , alerts on out of date/vulnerable software , as well as the usual stuff.

It looks like a great approach to me ,by including things that used to be the domain of hobbyists in main-stream software.

6. munckman

munckman Registered Member

larryb52,

For me; no Suites are Sweet. That's just me though.;) I have yet to find a Suite that fills my Sweet Spot because I always find a deficiency in it somehow.o_O And, I'm not even close to knowing what is really going on!:oops:

Separates that I have found that work for me and mine (as opposed to Suites) include a robust Firewall, and an accurate AntiVirus. Both are "of course" are in addition to an intuitive Visualization application.

Presently I'm reliant on 3 programs to ensure my online/offline protection. I'm considering removing one of my "comfort level protections" because I think I can and will not be adversely effected. I am hesitant though.:blink:

So larryb52; what solution have you found that is inline with your Comfort Spot? For me, I've even used suites with various parts not installed or deactivated so that I could use something else alongside that I like or understand more easily.

Bottom line for me is that my present Solution consists of 3 programs which I intend to reduce to 2.! Which 2 to rely on; that is the question that I'm grappling with.:argh:

7. 3xist

3xist Guest

The good "characteristics" of a suite that they should all work in harmony together to provide decent protection, On the usability side; (If a Suite has a HIPS for example and an AV, If AV detects something, HIPS should NOT Alert you - Thus making user experience more pleasant).

So if you have a HIPS from Vendor A and a AV from Vendor B, Then if AV Detects a malware run, and if it's a decent HIPS - It will also Alert you so it's a bit of an inconvenience. So running a Suite is good for Security and Usability.

Cheers,
    Josh

8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I don't understand this. If an AV detects a malware and it quarantines it, a HIPS wouldn't even have detected the malware yet, so there'll be no conflicts.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

when I get paranoid I run a hips firewall a AV with good heuristcs & a spyware- malware program, that works for me, there are very few Suites I use I have 2 in mind & both have regular signature updates that make me feel safe & good built in firewalls. I can take it either way... right now the one suite I have in mind did a nice job for me in on a site that is not known for having issues so I was influenced by it's ability to save me from finding the probklem after words but to be honest I rather have separates as I feel more protected...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.