What causes frequent IP renewal for USB dongle

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by act8192, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I added a wireless capability to an ancient laptop. It's Linksys USB adapter WUSB100.
    Every couple minutes a baloon comes up in the system tray telling me that the wireless thing is now connected and how great it is.
    I know it's great - I get IP from the router and local filesharing, printing, web surfing, mails, work fine.

I ran Wireshark, and sure enough, there are continuous 5, not 3, broadcasts followed by I get an IP, also every time it happens, the WPA2 phrase is sent to the router.
    .54 is the router IP
    15minDHCPrenewal.png
    Kerio log, few brain banging hours later
    WirelessRenewals.png
    Question:
    Why is that little gadget constantly doing it, roughly every 15 minutes
    , though I've seen it even more often during the day?

One disclaimer: I didn't want to install any of their utilities, just the drivers. Because built-in WirelessZero config is fine for setting up. Might be a mistake since I don't know now how to look at it's features. There's a bunch of them in the network adapter properties, but I don't know what they mean or which might be relevant
    WirelessProperties.png

2. act8192

Bump :)
    I'm still interested WHY all this was happening. I think Kerio log describes it better than I can in words.

But, when I saw for two days, that a red X was coming over the wireless icon for s split second, I knew then that it was a real disconnection, hence the need for renewal every 15 minutes.
    Problem is now solved. I returned that adapter to the store, got me a Netgear one and it works well. Even with USB1.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's good to know and also good to see the nuisance renewals are resolved. No way I, for one, had any idea what was going on.

When you do a: "ipconfig" from the command line, what are the "Lease obtained" and "Lease expired" entries?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  4. act8192

24 hour lease, always. I get IP from the router and it does the normal, for me, 24hr job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.