What can be done with USB TV .mpg files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emile77, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emile77

emile77 Registered Member

Hi ,

I've just bought an USB key to display and record TV programs on my computer.

However , files .mpg recorded by the soft make my computer freeze when I try to open them.

I've contacted Hauppauge hot line and they told me that I had to remove all 'CODECs' from my computer and to clean the 'Register' (o_O?).

There"s no change , so if anybody could give me any suggestion ?

Thanks by advance ,

emile

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

they probably mean clean the registry. i'd just download a complete codec pack if i was in your position. i'd give a link, but something seems to be wrong with my DNS so my internet isn't working properly. try searching the forum for a codec pack, then make sure it supports mpg playback. (if you have removed codecs you need news ones to play stuff!) maybe downloading mplayer will add some codecs o_O

3. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Yes, they want you to remove the codecs, clean the registry and then replace the codecs. There are many, but I would try using Media Player Classic for playback with ffdshow codec pack.

---------------------

4. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

I would suggest you to use the CCCP. (The Combined Community Codec Pac) from:
    http://www.cccp-project.net/

You´ll find a lot of help in their forum as well.

Regards /Don

5. emile77

Thanks , Don ,
    I'll try this pack and see if there's any improvement.
    emile

6. emile77

Hi ,
    I've done what you suggested and my problems have disappeared.
    First as suggested by 'CCCP' site :

[[ Explorer crashes when I open folders with movie files in Windows XP and higher
    This is a known issue with Windows XP's braindead video thumbnail thing in Explorer. Being a thing invented by MS, it's buggy and doesn't always know how to handle things not supported by MS. When it sees something it doesn't like (for example, a MKV or OGM file) it occasionally crashes and takes Explorer down with it. This isn't a very funny situation to be in, but it's easy to disable it. Go to Start -> Run... and type :

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    Press enter. Done. It's as simple as that. If you, for some reason want it back (unlikely, but might happen), simply do the same thing again, but remove the "/u". That is: Start -> Run...

regsvr32 shmedia.dll
    This will only disable movie thumbnails/previews, not picture thumbnails. ]]

Then add a key :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001

Now I can do what I want with the .mpg files recorded (open , rename , duplicate , cut or join with 'TMPGenc' , etc...).

Thanks everybody for your help ,
    emile

7. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I'm glad Don mentioned CCCP. I suggested ffdshow, which may have also fixed it, but I forget about CCCP - it's a great codec pack if you go that route, and lots of people to help. I'm glad you're up and running again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.