What breaks down in HDM14 when the "Block device mounter" driver fails to load?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by liviu, Aug 22, 2014.

1. liviu

liviu Registered Member

While running HDM14 latest build v10.1.21.471 on Win7x64.Sp1, I get the following warning in the event log upon each reboot: "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\PARAGONBLOCKDEVICE\0000".

The respective device traces back to Paragon's "Block device mounter" and, indeed, if I disable it in device manager then the warning stops being logged. HDM14 itself seems to be working fine without the device, however I assume that there must be a reason why it was installed to begin with.

I opened a support case with Paragon about this, and waiting for followups. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else has seen that warning and figured the issue, or knows what functionality depends on the PARAGONBLOCKDEVICE and is lost when the driver fails to load.

2. liviu

liviu Registered Member

P.S. To answer my own question, courtesy Paragon support... The warning is benign, and the "Block Device Mounter" driver eventually loads, presumably on subsequent attempts, which can be verified with 'devcon status' for example. Issue appears to be a race condition in the user-mode-driver-framework, and has been reported elsewhere for other drivers, too (however, the usual advice to change WUDFRd's service startup type from manual to automatic did not eliminate the warning in my case). The driver is used in HDM14 to enable mounting virtual containers, such as the new pVHD backup format, and disabling or plain unistalling it will disable the respective functionality.

3. garria10

garria10 Registered Member

I too have this exact issue, it's good to know it's benign, however this is the only warning I'm getting in my Event viewer/Adminstrative events. Having spent many hours tracking down errors and warnings it annoys me to leave this one....

4. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.