What benefits do I get for scanning in Safe-Mode?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ninelives, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninelives

ninelives Registered Member

I know that sometimes viruses can be pesky and stop AV from deleting it because its either locked in memory or its a running process.

Does it increase nod32's detection rate, or just insure that anything can be removed (viruses/malware).

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

In Safe Mode, Windows runs on a basic state.
    As most malware does not work in that state, this makes cleaning easier.

3. ninelives

ninelives Registered Member

Ahh, okay thanks. Im guessing it disables drivers and such, aswell as unnecessary processes from starting because last time I was in Safe mode my Graphics Card's Fan was running on full blast, which also happened when I first built my PC, and I had no Drivers for my card lol.

I have one more question...

My mom and I want to buy Smart Security 4, what advantages does it have over Eset Nod32? It costs about 10 dollars more, so what do I get for those 10 dollars?

4. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

A firewall and antispam :)

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

If you have a rootkit active on your system, it most likely won't help you there. It might make removal of more conventional malware/viruses easier, but the detection rates in normal mode vs safe are going to be about the same. Nod32 allows you to make a bootable rescue CD that you can use to scan your harddrive without a potentially compromised OS being loaded in to memory. I would recommend doing that over a safe-mode scan if you think something odd is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.