What AV are you using with Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have used AOL AVS with Comodo Firewall, not a bad combination, but my PC ran slower with them together. Really liked AVG Free with Comodo, and my PC ran faster. Now using Antivir PE and CPF, and while my PC only seems a slight bit slower than it did with AVG, I'm not sure if Antivir's better detection rate is worth the slow down because of the great protection CPF offers? I swore after deciding to uninstall CPF and install SKPF 4.3.2 with Antivir that I was done trying different combinations, but the lure of the Comodo Firewall was just too great to stay away. LOL. Now I just want to know what AV others are using with Comodo Firewall, and why they like that particular combination. Also thanks to everyone in advance for your replies.

2. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Just dumped Sygate Personal and installed Comodo after being hesitant for the last two months. Don't regret it though. It works like a charm.

Running it along Avast Home.

3. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

@duke1959:
    Has your computer really slowed down that much by switching from AVG to Antivir? I'm running CPF with Antivir and I'm not noticing any real slowdowns.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have DrWeb AV. No problems.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Comodo and Antivir- no slow down I think but the issue may be just subjective.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I tried Comodo and I have KAV 2006 and Process Guard. One or both are incompatible with Comodo. I got rid of Comodo as I would never give up KAV or PG for a firewall. I only tried Comodo because I was curious. I am behind a router as everyone should be so a software firewall is not needed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m running Nod with Comodo...no sweat.

8. duke1959

I think now with the last update of Antivir there is no noticable slowdown except when logging off. This may be do to the way the Antivir Guard works. In any case, I've decided having better detection is worth any small difference in speed. Thanks so far to everyone who has posted.

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Comodo\BitDefender\Sandboxie\Spyware Blaster\Opera 9.02 (just released) on my resource challanged laptop. Work very well together. Little or no lag. Also just started running Torpark (will not run in Sandboxie) :( o_O at times for "private" surfing sessions. :cool:

10. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Nope. Remember the onion approach to virtual security...

;)

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

originally posted by Mele20

The Comodo firewall version 2 added some HIPS functionality so it will probably conflict with other similar programs. One option is to shut down the HIPS feature in Comodo. That might solve the conflicts.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Running Comodo with Vba32.
    No problems.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Layer, layer, layer. Behind a router as well. Still run a software based firewall.

14. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Dr.Web AV & Comodo FW are running perfectly together.
    BC. :thumb:

15. duke1959

It's still early, but no AVG Free users yet. gesc, how do you like Avast with Comodo? This seems like a good way to have added protection for the web, since Avast has the Web Shield. Antivir does scan FireFox as I log on and surf, but not sure if it scans actual site like Avast. I'm tempted to go back to Avast because of the way it updates. I do have Antivir set to update three times a day, but I will get three notify windows this way. ccisto, is it HIPS or IDS in Comodo, or are these the same two things?

16. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

No, Mele20 is correct. If you are the only computer behind a hardware firewall, have closed all of your ports, or have only trusted computers on the LAN, than any form of incoming filtering by the software firewall is redundant. Also, PG offers great application firewalling which would prevent anything unwanted being able to calling home since it could never get the chance too.

More is not always better, in fact, I believe that less is more.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

17. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I'm running Antivir, Prevx Pro, and Comodo together with no conflict.

As to the IDS/HIPS part of Comodo, I think it would be closer to an IDS as it will alert you but not stop the various items listed in the Application Behavior Analysis where as a true HIPS program will prevent something from doing nasty things .

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    I am not sure if Comodo has HIPS or IDS functionality. I do know that several users had issues running Process Guard with the firewall, so apparently they are doing something that conflicts with each other.

Originally posted by Drew99GT

This sounds very similar to Prevx1 paid versus free versions. After the trial period is over, the program only detects malware and doesn't stop the injection or installation of it. You then have to shell out money if you want their help at that point (or get help elsewhere).

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I run KAV 6 and PG without problem

20. timcan

timcan Registered Member

No conflicts with Comodo and Bitdefender v10.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How would I do that? In Safe Mode? The problem I had was that the computer froze immediately after installing Comodo and rebooting. Upon finishing the reboot, I was immediately presented with 5 popups from Comodo asking if I wanted to allow stuff but the computer froze before I could click on any of the popups. I was able to bring up Task Manager with the intention of killing the Comodo process (although I wasn't sure I could identify all processes connected to Comodo since I had just installed it) but Task Manager froze and I had to resort to using the button on the tower to shut down the computer. I rebooted to safe mode and removed Comodo.

My suspicion is that there may have been KAV ProActive Defense popups under the Comodo ones. They both produce popups in the lower right portion of the screen. I hate that location. I far prefer PG which puts the popups where they should be in the middle of the screen. Anyhow, if there were KAV popups under the Comodo ones that would explain the freezing.

I was told at the Comodo forum that I should have chosen custom install and configured the firewall during installation. I'm not sure that would be very good as how could I access the help file during installation? I don't think Comodo should run until the user has a chance to both read the help file and then configure the firewall. I had PG disabled during the Comodo install and it was disabled on the subsequent reboot that Comodo required so I don't think the conflict was with PG but with KAV 2006 (most likely ProActive Defense module).

As I said, I was curious about Comodo and that is mostly why I tried it. I don't feel that I need a software firewall other than when I use dialup because my broadband connection is down and that doesn't happen often. I use Windows firewall in that instance.

22. duke1959

Still no AVG Free or AOL AVS. 3 Antivr so far, with these close behind. 2 KAV, 2 BitDefender, 2 Dr.Web. I'm only keeping track for fun as I have heard good things about all of these AV's, so please no get offended. Also feel free to correct my count if this thread builds more, and I hope it does.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  23. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Mele20

Sorry but I have not used either program (Comodo and Process Guard) so I can't really offer any explanation of your problem. It might be the other software dealng with the pop up alerts situation. I thought someone said that you can select something on the Comodo menu screen to turn off the IDS portions? I also am using the Windows XP firewall only at this time and was considering adding a HIPS program to supplement it (or use a new firewall program).

24. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Comodo with NOD32. Works very well. :)

25. test4

test4 Registered Member

Another Comodo + Antivir user. I've had that for years (Antivir, obviously not Comodo ;) ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.