What are Windows Stream MRUs?

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by wilcerize, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilcerize

wilcerize Registered Member

Could you tell me more about Windows Stream MRUs?

Some of them certainly affect folder settings (in Windows ME at least) in that folders are set back to the default view.

[OT: Actually, I'm not sure what the "default view" is. On my machine, the default seems to be the customised folder view that I always use (Details, certain columns displayed, certain column widths honoured, etc.). But other threads indicate that their default is the "Windows default" (big icons etc). So does the default get set whenever one clicks the "View all folders like current folder" option in Folder Options in the Control Panel, or is it set when one does a "hard save" by closing Explorer by doing CTRL + close button? Or is it set by some other means? Anyone got any ideas on this?]

Anyway, I'd like to know what else Windows Stream MRUs contain. If they contain stuff that's a bit more sensitive that folder views, I'd like to see an option whereby folder views are protected when using MRU Blaster, but the rest of the stuff is blasted.

cheers

2. fono

fono Registered Member

"Windows Stream MRU"

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi wilcerize :)

MRU Blaster should have nothing to do with how your folder views are set up.

First. MRU ~ Most Recently Used ~ is simply lists of things you worked on, and MRU is used to get rid of your tracks, as for example if you go to Start/Documents, you will see a list of things you accessed/worked on. [See pic]

This is also relevant for any Office files, etc. etc. MRUs are listed throughout your system, just like leaving fingerprints behind. Harmless, but for privacy they are deleted.

The are simply like links to that particular item, so can click on it and it will come back up [if the file still exists].

Now, the reason you may/may not have MRU Blaster set to get rid of those, so that other people cannot see where/what you have been working on. :)

As for your Folder options, all you have to do is open Windows Explorer, then in the View menu, select how you would like your folders displayed.
    Thumbnails
    Tiles
    Icons
    List
    Details

Once you have your windows explorer folders set up how you like, size, etc.
    Go to Tools/Folder Options.
    Select View TAB, Click Apply to All Folders,
    Click Apply bottom right, then OK it.

Now, all of your folders should open how you left that last one, either with Icon, List, Details, etc.

HTH.... Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 113.GIF
      113.GIF
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  4. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Hi Tassie_Devils

I read your steps and was wondering if files and folders will still be sorted according to my preference with the Windows Stream MRU option enabled in MRU Blaster.

My experience is that I just go to windows explorer and choose

view ->arrange icons-> and then set it to my preference

However if I have MRU-Blaster with the Windows Stream MRU option checked, it will go back to the default of sorting files and folders by name after a cleaning.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I leave that unchecked in mine for the reason mentioned.

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I do too ronjor, and userassist mrus. But I was just wondering since Tassie_devils mentioned "MRU Blaster should have nothing to do with how your folder views are set up."

7. wilcerize

wilcerize Registered Member

TAS,

Thanks for your response. I should have been a little bit clearer in what I was asking. I was really after an explanation of what the word "stream" signifies in the phrase "Stream MRUs" (as opposed to "MS Office document MRUs" etc, whose meaning is clear).

> MRU Blaster should have nothing to do with how your folder views are set up.

It certainly seems to affect them with me. Specifically, deleting the "Windows stream MRUs" (one of the options in the settings dialog) resets all my Explorer folder views. It looks like it affects rerun2's and ronjor's too.

> As for your Folder options, all you have to do is open Windows Explorer, then in the View menu, select how you would like your folders displayed.....

Indeed, this is one way of propagating a particular view setting uniformly across Explorer. However, the point I was interested in was how Windows *decides* what its "default views" are. As I said, my "default views"---the ones to which Explorer reverts when MRU Blaster deletes the Stream MRUs---are the ones which I set up in the past using the method that you describe (the "view all folders like current folder" option). Other people's "default views" are the ones that Windows provides when it is newly installed. I was just curious as to what process determines the "default views". Is it the method you describe? Anyway, this is just an aside and not important.

I guess I'm still looking for an answer to my original question:

I'd like to know precisely what *Stream* MRUs contain. If they contain stuff that's a bit more sensitive that folder views, I'd like to see an option whereby folder views are protected when using MRU Blaster, but the rest of the stuff that they might contain is blasted.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.